House Party / Need recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SailorJerry

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

So, as fall is rapidly approaching, we are thinking of throwing a little pre-harvest party (we're in farm country), and I want ideas on what to brew. I'd light the smoker, make some pulled pork and maybe some ribs or something. We'd have guests bring some beer/liquor of their choosing, maybe some side dishes.

This is our first thought:
IPA or session IPA - I have a recipe for that, just haven't brewed it before :)
Wheat Beer - Have a recipe already
Pale Ale or a Blonde Ale - No idea, would love opinions
Fruit Wheat - Would use our base wheat beer and rack onto a fruit. Any ideas on what works best?

Now, we aren't set on that. We've discussed a pumpkin beer, an Oktoberfest, which I'd love to do, but we can't lager yet, an amber, a stout, but I don't think we'd have time for that either.

We have 4 kegs, a keezer would be completed by then that will hold 3 of them, and we'll find a way to serve out of the fourth.

Keep in mind, we still use extract and partial mash, haven't made the leap to all grain or BIAB yet, even though we want to.

I don't know about a pumpkin beer unless you and the wife really like pumpkin beers. I personally wouldn't want 5 [or 10, as I do 10 gallon batches] gallons of that around, and it's unlikely that you'll drain a keg of it during the party.

You can do a mOcktoberfest. Basically an O'fest with the cleanest, most neutral ale yeast you can find. Others have said you can use SafLager W-34/70 yeast warm and use gelatin to fine the beer, and can turn it around quickly without full temp control. Only issue is that if you're going to do this with extract, you'll need to get munich and pilsner extract, which you can't find at a typical LHBS. Morebeer.com sells both though.

If it were me, here'd be my lineup:

mOcktoberfest / Octoberfest: great for the season
IPA: this is the modern "American" craft beer style, so you'll have people drinking it
Blonde: great for people who want "your lightest beer"
TBD: I'd probably go with either wheat OR fruit wheat here, not both

That hits all your marks except stout, and I'd probably go with fruit wheat for variety since you already have the blonde for the "lightest thing you've got" drinkers. Blueberry works wonderfully and is a lighter flavor. Raspberry will be a stronger / more dominant flavor in wheat but works well. For these I recommend the Oregon Fruit Puree, as it's just a really convenient way to get the fruit into the beer. Just note that the fruit will take a little time to clear, so I'd brew it earliest.

I'd brew the O'fest first, the fruit wheat next, the blonde, and then the IPA (freshest hop flavor). That'll give your O'fest the most time to age/lager, and the fruit wheat the most time to clear.

I don't know about a pumpkin beer unless you and the wife really like pumpkin beers. I personally wouldn't want 5 [or 10, as I do 10 gallon batches] gallons of that around, and it's unlikely that you'll drain a keg of it during the party.

You can do a mOcktoberfest. Basically an O'fest with the cleanest, most neutral ale yeast you can find. Others have said you can use SafLager W-34/70 yeast warm and use gelatin to fine the beer, and can turn it around quickly without full temp control. Only issue is that if you're going to do this with extract, you'll need to get munich and pilsner extract, which you can't find at a typical LHBS. Morebeer.com sells both though.

If it were me, here'd be my lineup:

mOcktoberfest / Octoberfest: great for the season
IPA: this is the modern "American" craft beer style, so you'll have people drinking it
Blonde: great for people who want "your lightest beer"
TBD: I'd probably go with either wheat OR fruit wheat here, not both

That hits all your marks except stout, and I'd probably go with fruit wheat for variety since you already have the blonde for the "lightest thing you've got" drinkers. Blueberry works wonderfully and is a lighter flavor. Raspberry will be a stronger / more dominant flavor in wheat but works well. For these I recommend the Oregon Fruit Puree, as it's just a really convenient way to get the fruit into the beer. Just note that the fruit will take a little time to clear, so I'd brew it earliest.

I'd brew the O'fest first, the fruit wheat next, the blonde, and then the IPA (freshest hop flavor). That'll give your O'fest the most time to age/lager, and the fruit wheat the most time to clear.

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't want 5 gallons of a pumpkin beer. mOktoberfest intrigues me. Do you have any recipes for it? We've never made one. We should be close to having temp controlled fermentation, because once the keezer is built, I'll be able to ferment in a temp regulated fridge w/ inkbird added.

Also, I have no LHBS, so everything will be ordered through an online vendor.

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't want 5 gallons of a pumpkin beer. mOktoberfest intrigues me. Do you have any recipes for it? We've never made one. We should be close to having temp controlled fermentation, because once the keezer is built, I'll be able to ferment in a temp regulated fridge w/ inkbird added.

Also, I have no LHBS, so everything will be ordered through an online vendor.

Just search Biermunchers OktoberFast ale. Proven recipe. Might make a double batch of it actually. It will all go away. I like the recipe so much that I use it as my oktoberfest lager recipe, but it's really good as either ale or lager.

(make 10 gallons of it, you'll be glad you did)

Hey everyone.

So, as fall is rapidly approaching, we are thinking of throwing a little pre-harvest party (we're in farm country), and I want ideas on what to brew. I'd light the smoker, make some pulled pork and maybe some ribs or something. We'd have guests bring some beer/liquor of their choosing, maybe some side dishes.

This is our first thought:
IPA or session IPA - I have a recipe for that, just haven't brewed it before :)
Wheat Beer - Have a recipe already
Pale Ale or a Blonde Ale - No idea, would love opinions
Fruit Wheat - Would use our base wheat beer and rack onto a fruit. Any ideas on what works best?

Now, we aren't set on that. We've discussed a pumpkin beer, an Oktoberfest, which I'd love to do, but we can't lager yet, an amber, a stout, but I don't think we'd have time for that either.

We have 4 kegs, a keezer would be completed by then that will hold 3 of them, and we'll find a way to serve out of the fourth.

Keep in mind, we still use extract and partial mash, haven't made the leap to all grain or BIAB yet, even though we want to.

You can do an Oktoberfest ale. All the same great taste but easier on you for fermenting. I did one 2 years ago and turned out great. Right now Im doing an Oktoberfest as a lager.

Pumpkin beer is fun and great if you have a good recipe. I can tell you there are not alot of pumpkin beers Ive drank that I consider good. I prefer a malty beer for parties or pilsners. They go well with the food your identifying. A malty pumpkin might be good as long as its not pumpkin spice crap beer.

Here is the recipe me and a coworker did 2 years ago. https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/268679/get-your-a-to-marzen-10-gal-

We're having a get together later in the fall too, complete with pulled pork. I'll have two on tap via a jockey box, one of which will be an Oktoberfest, so that gets my vote for sure since it should appeal to beer enthusiasts and the "meh" crowd.

The rest depends entirely on your audience. Are these people going to have 1-2 per person or 3-4 per person? Either way, ABV probably should be a consideration especially if it's an all day party. Are there adventurers in the crowd that might appreciate something a little more off the wall? Are your guests like my family and rarely drink beer that isn't out of a can with some shade of blue?

Here's what I'd probably do:
1) Oktoberfest
2) Blonde
3) Stout (Yooper's Oatmeal Stout is a crowd pleaser if you can swing it)
4) ESB

You also mentioned you're in farm country, so what would be in season by the time you get to brewing these? Might be cool to have some local ingredients in a beer.

Thanks. I see he used Safeale 04, is that still the recommended yeast?
And, do I just put that into beer smith to convert it to extract, or if I wade through all the pages, will I find the extract recipe?

:)

I know...cheating asking that instead of looking myself!

I saw an extract conversion on the 2nd or 3rd page. I would use the yeast biermuncher recommends. I use a German lager yeast on it now.

We're having a get together later in the fall too, complete with pulled pork. I'll have two on tap via a jockey box, one of which will be an Oktoberfest, so that gets my vote for sure since it should appeal to beer enthusiasts and the "meh" crowd.

The rest depends entirely on your audience. Are these people going to have 1-2 per person or 3-4 per person? Either way, ABV probably should be a consideration especially if it's an all day party. Are there adventurers in the crowd that might appreciate something a little more off the wall? Are your guests like my family and rarely drink beer that isn't out of a can with some shade of blue?

Here's what I'd probably do:
1) Oktoberfest
2) Blonde
3) Stout (Yooper's Oatmeal Stout is a crowd pleaser if you can swing it)
4) ESB

You also mentioned you're in farm country, so what would be in season by the time you get to brewing these? Might be cool to have some local ingredients in a beer.

Well, our farm country is all corn and soybeans. No crazy fruits or anything like that, given, we have about 10 apple trees that we could make some hard cider from!

Working on the Oktoberfest now, will find a blonde recipe, and we'll probably do a hoppier pale ale/less hoppy ipa. And, I love my wheat beer.

I'd be all for the stout, but I'd be running in to time constraints with that. We've got about a month before we'd throw the shindig.

I saw an extract conversion on the 2nd or 3rd page. I would use the yeast biermuncher recommends. I use a German lager yeast on it now.

S-04 is fine to use at ale temps, because that's what it's for, right?
I don't know why I'm asking that question, I know it's an ale yeast, I just don't want to F up a brew

:ban:

Well, our farm country is all corn and soybeans. No crazy fruits or anything like that, given, we have about 10 apple trees that we could make some hard cider from!

Working on the Oktoberfest now, will find a blonde recipe, and we'll probably do a hoppier pale ale/less hoppy ipa. And, I love my wheat beer.

I'd be all for the stout, but I'd be running in to time constraints with that. We've got about a month before we'd throw the shindig.

You could probably swing Yoop's stout in that time if you wanted it on tap. Calculated ABV on that one is only ~4.7%. Sounds like you've about got your lineup though.

If you've got 10 apple trees I certainly hope cider is in your future :p

You could probably swing Yoop's stout in that time if you wanted it on tap. Calculated ABV on that one is only ~4.7%. Sounds like you've about got your lineup though.

If you've got 10 apple trees I certainly hope cider is in your future :p

Never made it before, but I'm intrigued by it. I'll have to do some research and see how it works!

As for the blonde, search the ale recipe section for "Squeeze my lemons summer blonde." It's quite refreshing. I feel it would be great without the lemon too but it's all about your preference.

> will find a blonde recipe

search the recipe forum for Centennial Blonde or Fizzy Yellow Beer .. both are good beers and either will satisfy a BMC drinker

You can easily turnaround an oatmeal stout inside a month if you keg. I brew mine at 6.2%, it gets 2 weeks in primary then coffee beans for 24h then kegged. Its ready to go and tastes great as soon as its carbed. I like to shake for a bit then let it sit on the gas for 3 days. No concerns with clarity in a stout.

You can easily turnaround an oatmeal stout inside a month if you keg. I brew mine at 6.2%, it gets 2 weeks in primary then coffee beans for 24h then kegged. Its ready to go and tastes great as soon as its carbed. I like to shake for a bit then let it sit on the gas for 3 days. No concerns with clarity in a stout.

A Coffee Stout is what we want to try when we try our first stout. What coffee beans do you use and how many ounces?

Just looked over my farming hours that I keep track of, and we are usually combining our first field of soybeans between the 26th and 28th of September. We've been unusually chilly this August, so I'm betting we'll start a week later than that.

Probably would shoot for a date of the 23rd of Sept for the party.

This is what made a good lineup for parties in the past: IPA, easy drinker, darker beer, specialty beer

Below was my lineup and they all got drank pretty evenly, but any variation of the above makes for a good selection and appeals to most everyone:

IPA
Kolsch
Nut brown
Jalapeno Cream ale

Count me as another vote for the oktoberfast. I did use S04 and so far it has done everything as advertised. Can't speak to the extract version as mine was AG

You've got enough suggestions to keep you busy. However, I did a wheat pale ale with mosaic and el Dorado that came out great both times I brewed it. Light on the bitterness for the non craftys, but enough flavor so that everyone has enjoyed it.

Target 1.050 sg
50% wheat extract, 50% light extract (I did all grain, but seeing as you brew extract, I recommend dry. I've just had better beer using DME)

Hops
.5oz misiac boil 15 mins
.5oz do Dorado boil 15 mins

1.5oz misiac whirlpool 15 mins starting at 180F
1.5oz do Dorado whirlpool 15 mins starting at 180F

1oz mosaic dry hop 4 days
1oz el Dorado dry hop 4 days

If I were having a party, I'd do this, a blond, an Oktoberfest, and a stout. I used 5oz of course ground beans that I made into a cold brew and added at packaging in my stout. Next time I'll back it down to 4oz.

Good luck and have fun....brewing and partying!

If I were having a party, I'd do this, a blond, an Oktoberfest, and a stout. I used 5oz of course ground beans that I made into a cold brew and added at packaging in my stout. Next time I'll back it down to 4oz.

Good luck and have fun....brewing and partying!

+1.

OP If you haven't done a stout yet and want coffee, this is the way to go. Come to think of it I cold steep my dark roasted grains too and add them at the end of the mash. You get the flavor but not the bitterness. YMMV.

Farm? Why not a farm house saison?

Farmhouse Saison or Belgian pale ale
Session IPA
Wheat ale
Yooper's stout

My experience has always been that the majority of people don't prefer beer, and especially don't like homebrew, unless it's a well executed watery lager.

The only beer I've ever had a full keg drained was a budweiser clone (75% 2-row, 25% rice, 10 ibu). It was technical done well, but tasted meh, and that keg was gone in no time. The next party i made a phenomenal german pilsner for mostly the same people, and i didn't even see anyone go back for seconds. They went after a case of bud select someone brought.

I don't even waste my time anymore brewing for a crowd because i don't want watery yellow lager on tap i have to finish.

YMMV.

Bottom line: know your audience.

Back