Hops lb/bbl to 5 gallon conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BongoYodeler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just like the subject indicates, I'm looking for an approximate conversions. More than a few threads here reference commercial brewery hop amounts in lb/bbl amounts. I just want to be clear what that equates to at the 5 gallon HB level. Here's what I've come up with. Am I close? Please update if I'm way off.

1lb/bbl 2.6oz
2lb/bbl 5.2oz
3lb/bbl 7.8oz
4lb/bbl 10.4oz
5lb/bbl 13oz

Above is all you need to know. 1lb/bbl is 0.5 oz/gallon. So you just need to multiply that value by the number of lbs you want per barrel. For reference, The standard dryhop for NEIPAS is 2oz/gallon which is 4lb/bbl

The math/rule of thumb is sound. But keep in mind that when dealing with hot side hopping, i.e. during the boil, hostand, whirlpool, etc., you may not get as much hop utilization if you convert to a small batch linearly. I've brewed batches of many sizes, all the way up to 15 barrels, on more than a few systems, and can say that some of the larger systems definitely get better hop utilization. I'm fairly confident that the major driver of that is slower cooling of the wort after the boil.

No names ,but we have a brewery in Milwaukee that hasn't figured out that they're larger system has higher efficiencies. All there beer is too biter for me,so I just get water on the walk abouts.

Back