Vienna substitutions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzOr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello All,
In a few days Im planning on brewing a Vienna lager. It's the first time and I wanted to keep it simple as in 9lb Vienna malt and 3 or 4 oz of pale chocolate malt.

I only have 6lb of Vienna and a pound or so of pale choc malt.

Question- What should I sub in for the 3lb of Vienna? I'd rather not use a crystal as I think it would be out of style. Here's what I have on hand;

5lb Maris Otter
20lb 2 row
5 lb pilz (forget which)
1.5lb Munich 10
3lb biscuit
3lb honey malt
4lb C-40
1lb C-80

I'd rather use what I have on hand but if needed, I can just buy more Vienna. I still have the above grains plus various wheats that I bought last summer that I'm trying to use up.

I was thinking -
6lb Vienna
2lb 2 row or Maris
1lb Munich 10
3 oz of Pale chocolate

Does this sound decent?

Thanks for quick response.
Sounds like I’ll do
6lb Vienna
3lb Pilz
Couple of oz of choc malt.

I’ll report back. Thanks for advice!
sounds good. i've done similar and it always turns out great.

Thanks for quick response.
Sounds like I’ll do
6lb Vienna
3lb Pilz
Couple of oz of choc malt.

I’ll report back. Thanks for advice!
I've done full Vienna, and ive done Vienna with a mix of pilsner and would have been hard pressed to notice much of a difference. I've settled onto Vienna, a dash of Munich, and s very small amount of dark malt for color.

I could also brew a session Vienna.
There’s a recipe on this forum called Vienna Saazage that sounds delicious and only uses 6lb of malt.
But for now I’ll stick w a regular gravity beer.
So many recipes, so little time.

I've done full Vienna, and ive done Vienna with a mix of pilsner and would have been hard pressed to notice much of a difference. I've settled onto Vienna, a dash of Munich, and s very small amount of dark malt for color.
ditto. i also really like a bit of home made vienna or munich based crystal malt for a little sweetness on the finish.

So I went with....
6lb Vienna
2.5lb pils
.5 lb Munich 10
2.5 oz Pale chocolate malt
1oz Perle 7.1 at 60 min
.5 Goldings 5.0 at 5 min
.5 Goldings 5.0 at 1 min
Pitch Imperial L17

Thanks for all the great tips!
I’ll report back after a few weeks.

Back