Hops in Ct

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pavs

Reaction score
Anyone in the Ct area growing hops and if so, what do you find grows the best here? I'd like to grow a cascade plant, any thoughts?

My answer to this question is always the same:

Grow what you use.

Determine what you like in your beers, grow that.

Don't worry about what will and won't grow.

Grow what you use. :)

I'm trying it for the first year, I have cascades, chinook, mt. hood, and willamette in the pots right now. I dont have a preference but I just wanted to grow what I wanted to grow. I dont think you can go wrong with starting of with cascades.

It's not too late. Most suppliers aren't even shipping to New England yet. It couldn't hurt to start them in pots, as long as they're inside or in a greenhouse. We're not even close to past the last frost date. You've got plenty of time.

I'm in CT. Don't expect too much this year. In my first year, the only hop variety that yielded anything was Cascade. You will likely experience the same - I've heard this before. If you haven't ordered your rhizomes yet, search for a place that offers "jumbo rhizomes". I ordered last year several varieties from NB and got essentially wet sticks. They worked but didn't have the same level of vigor that my jumbo ones from freshhops.com had. I got a Saaz from there and it was the size of a softball - sure beat the finger sized sticks from NB for only a few $ more. Don't get me wrong the small rhizomes will work, but almost guarantees you no crop the first year. End of year one, I had about 5 oz of Cascade in Avon, CT - 8 hrs sun.

I'm going to order this week. I was going to order from NB, bit will def order from fresh hops! Can't wait to start growing!

It would be fine to stick them in the ground now, just don't expect anything to pop up next week. And if you don't plant for a month, you'll be in almost the same place, as plants grow slow in cold soil.
Don't worry about "jumbo" rhizomes too much. It might improve your first year yield, but a good sunny location and a lot of cow poo will help you more.
I've hear cascades are a good one for first year production, so a good plant to start with.
I grew Sterling in western mass last year. I got about 1/2oz my first year. I could have done a lot of thing better, and I'm going to; this year. I tried some things that didn't work all that well, and thought up with new things (that might not work) to try this year.
With gardening you should start off with low expectations, that way you're always exited when you harvest, and never upset when something gets eaten, or dies.

In CT here - planted 1st years last year - Cascades, willamette, Nugget...
all three produced a decent crop for their first year.
Cascades did the best, followed by Willamette, then Nugget. I do think it is a direct correlation with the amount of sun each plant got. I would say you don't need to plant them in a pot - straight in the ground will be fine.

My LHBS just let me know that his hops will be in on monday. Put my order in and will be getting my first hops this week! Can't wait! Going with cascade and northern brewer.

Picked up my hops today! Great prices and the rhizomes he had are huge! Got some cascades. Gonna plant them in a planter tonight. Can't wait to harvest some hops!

If anyone in CT wants them I have Cascade, Centennial, Sunbeam, and Zues (Columbus) Rhizomes I can cut off my plants and give to you. I'm in fairfield. PM me. I am going to be trimming them either this weekend or next.

Beer & Winemakers warehouse in hartford. Off the airport rd exit off 91. The rhizomes I got from him were bigger than ones people got online!

I heard the guy at B&W warehouse was a huge d-bag. The dudes at B&W hobby are really cool.

That said, I don't think they have rhizomes there.

Unfortunately, the guys in east hartford do not carry hop rhizomes. I buy all of my specialty grains from them. The guy in hartford can kind of be a hardass if you just go in there and ask for grains. He wants you to email ahead of time. The problem with that is I brew on a whim sometimes.

I have never heard anything except bad news about the guys in hartford, so I'm surprised they had something good. I always go see Rich at brew and wine hobby

Sent from my DROIDX using Home Brew Talk

Back