British - EKG, Northdown, Challenger, First Gold, etc. - Upper Midwest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadjobrinus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've always sort of dreamt of growing British hops here, in S. Wisconsin. I know nothing about growing hops generally, and seeking British hops may be a bridge too far - where I work we have some homebrewer/growers come in, and a couple have seemed to imply cascades is doable, not sure. But wondering about our climate and hop growing.

Secondly, any recommended reading (besides here) would also be greatly appreciated.

Maybe check with these folks to see what they think might grow where you live. Shop for Hops Plants Now

Hop do grow in Wisconsin so you should be able to grow something.

Been wanting to try get some of the Allenville cluster from these folks but they never seem to have any for sale. Hidden Valley Hops
I grew up in the fox valley and would like to make a beer with heirloom Wisconsin hops.

Secondly, any recommended reading (besides here) would also be greatly appreciated.

Over the past couple of years, in discussions at various tap rooms northeast and east of the Twin Cities MN, St Croix Valley Hops has been mentioned as a supplier of locally grown hops. The site will has links to MN and WI hop growing associations.

The sites should give you an idea of which varieties can be grown in MN/WI.

Over the past couple of years, in discussions at various tap rooms northeast and east of the Twin Cities MN, St Croix Valley Hops has been mentioned as a supplier of locally grown hops. The site will has links to MN and WI hop growing associations.

The sites should give you an idea of which varieties can be grown in MN/WI.
Excellent, many thanks!

Back