Hop stand help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YOpassDAmike

Reaction score
I have performed a hop stand on three separate occasions and have had bad results.

My first attempt at a hop stand was a IPA (1.054, 5 gallon batch), I chilled my wort down to 170 degrees and then steeped 4.5 oz of hop pellets for 20 minutes.

Result: I also dry hopped this beer with 2.25oz of hops. The beer came out moderately hoppy and enjouable after bottle carbonated for 2 weeks. Around the 4 week mark after being transferred to the bottle, the beer developed a green olive taste. I think it may have been dms during the hop stand. I have the hydra immersion wort chilled by jaded brewing so cooling is not an issue. I want to note that I performed a 60 minute boil and never put the lid on the kettle throughout the whole process of boil, hop stand, or chilling. My grain bill consisted of 2row and very little specialty malt. I also want to note that this beer was submitted in a beer judging competition and the green olive taste was not present at the time.

My second attempt at a hop stand was a american wheat beer (1.051, 5 gallon batch). I performed a 90 minute boil on this beer because I had 1lb of pilsen malt in the grain bill. I chilled my wort down to 170 degrees and then steeped 2.5 oz of hop pellets for 20 minutes. I also dry hopped this beer with 2oz of hops.

Results: Mildly hoppy and no green olive taste after bottle carb for a few weeks. I also submitted this beer in a competition and received no off flavors. Fairly good results with this hop stand.

My third attempt was at a hop stand was a ipa (1.071, 3 gallon batch). I performed a 90 minute boil on this batch and the grain bill mostly featured 2row, no pilsen malt. After the boil I chilled the wort this time to 120 degrees and steeped 3oz of hops for 20 minutes. I also dry hopped this beer with 2oz of hops as well. I also want to noted that I brewed this beer with wyeast london ale 111.

Results: Samples of this beer tasted great, completely satisfied. I bottle this over a week ago and tried the beer after only 8 days into bottle carbonation out of excitement. When I cracked one open that was premature carbonated, aroma was good but flavor had developed a bubblegum flavor. I am guessing this bubblegum flavor is an ester from the wyeast london ale 111 yeast. I want to note that I fermented this beer around 70-72 degrees and that the bottles are currently carbonating at the same temperature. Prior to bottling, this beer never had a bubblegum flavor. Now this bubblegum flavor is taking away from the hops in the beer. Do you guys think that since the bottles are still in the process of carbonating, that the yeast will clean up this bubblegum flavor once it fully done eating the priming sugar?

With my methods of a hop stand provided above, could someone provide some insight or recommendations to help me to perform a hop stand with no off flavors?

I can't really add any critiques on the techniques that you have been using, but I can tell you what I do, and it's been working great.

I don't add flameout hops. My last hop addition is with about 5 mins remaining in the boil.

At flameout, I cover the kettle about 95% with just a slight opening. I wait until the wort drops below 190 deg and then I add the hops for 25-35 mins, depending on how long it takes for the wort to cool to 170. I never let it stand below 170, fearing infection. Once it hits 170 I rack to my fermenter, and then chill to 72 deg or so in the fermenter.

Ron

Back