Hop schedule ideas needed for session ale pls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawktrio

Reaction score
I have some left over hops (listed below) that I will be using in a 4% abv session ale. I'd love some ideas with reasoning from the awesome HBT crowd thanks. I was thinking of using them at different stages from 15 mins left in the boil and saving some for a dry hop, ideally at 30-40 IBUs.

Hops
2.5oz Citra
2.25oz Simcoe & Columbus
1.25oz Amarillo

Grain bill (5g batch)
Vienna 62.5%
Maris Otter 25%
Carahell 6.25%
Naked Oats 6.25%

Wyeast Yorkshire Yeast

Cheers,
Dan

I just did a session ale as a one off for my brewery. It was well received and had the following schedule for hopping:

50g Cascade FWH
50g Cascade 10 min
50g Centennial 10 min
50g Cascade 5min
50g Centennial 5 min
50g Cascade 0 min
50g Centennial 0 min
100g Cascade DH
100g Calypso DH

I have done a few 20 min ales now, all sessions. Heres the thing, calculated ibu only tells a technical number. I have put 55 ibu in a session smash....and almost no hop bite. Its fragrant, flavorful and super easy to drink, but you would never guess it was that much hops (vienna/cluster for those who are curious)

You can add 2-3x the "ibu" by number when doing full late addition beers, because the perceived bitterness is very different. I would add juuuust a pinch of one of those hops to get a tiny bite in the beer. Or double the amount you are putting in.

If it was my beer....(i am assuming you have 2.25oz of both columbus/simcoe)

.25oz Columbus @60
.5oz Amarillo @20
1oz Columbus@15
1oz simcoe @10
.5 each Columbus/Simcoe/Citra@5
1oz Amarillo @ fo
1oz Citra @fo
.25oz Columbus @fo

.25 Columbus dry hop
.75 Simcoe dry hop
1oz Citra dry hop

Thanks MHB as my gut told me a dash of Columbus for bittering would be wise. I'm brewing tonight so I'll definitely let you know how it turns out. I'm going to go with your schedule precisely ;)

2 days into fermentation and the blow off from the yeast is up there with the messiest. Lovely hoppy aromas escaping from the chamber. OG1.046. High hopes :)

I would have cut the naked oats by half, went with a cleaner yeast, used a low amount of Columbus for bittering and the rest of your hops for an extended hopstand and 5 day dryhop.

It will be interesting to see how this one turns out. Definitely some tweaks to consider for a rebrew depending on the results. With regards to dry hopping I'm moving to 3 days as to reduce grassiness. Recent studies have shown 1 day may be enough.

Racked to keg to dry hop. Down to 1.014 after 6 days. Sample tastes promising.

Bobbrews I think you might be onto something. With my equipment and process this one has come up too bitter and lacks flavour. Still enjoyable but not what I had hoped for a session beer. My journey begins to brew a magic all late hopped ale at around 4%. Thanks all!

Back