Frankenbrew recipe or style ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emichon

Reaction score
I'm going to have some leftover grains at the end of my brewing season, and they're getting a bit old, so instead of throwing them out, I was going to try and make a Frankenbrew. Looking for ideas on styles or some recipes that I could try out :) I don't have any yeast or hops leftover, but I'll go pick some up based on whatever I try to make. This is what I have leftover:

IngredientRemaining/Lbs
Abbey Malt4
Acid Malt 0.5
Aromatic Malt 0.25
Barley, Flaked 0.5
Belgian Pilsner 1
Biscuit Malt0.25
CaraAroma0.5
Carafa Special I0.5
Caramunich 10.5
Carapils1
Chocolate Malt1
Golden Promise2
Honey Malt 0.5
Maris Otter21
Melanoidin Malt0.5
Munich Dark3.5
Munich Malt1.6
Oats, Flaked1.15
Pale Ale (2-row)4.4
Pale Chocolate Malt0.35
Roasted Barley1
Rye Malt 0.5
Special B4.75
Victory Malt0.25
Vienna Malt2
White Wheat Malt0.25

Instead of trying to use everything, perhaps just brew your favorite recipe starting with what base malts you have.
Or look for malts that work together for specific styles, it looks like you could make at least four 5 gallon recipes.
I'd use the Abbey malt, pilsner and the Munich light/dark to make a dunkel, and depending on recipe, you could use a few specialty malts in there too.
The 2-row, some of the Maris Otter and the Golden promise would make a nice IPA or just a Pale ale, jazz it up with the victory and/or honey malt.
You could make a decent stout or porter with the Marris Otter, Chocolate, roasted Barley, flaked barley, Oats and toss in the small amounts of rye and white wheat.
Then you'd be left with Marris Otter, Vienna and Special B, which I would combine with a few other leftovers to make a barleywine.
Items like roasted barley and dark chocolate malt don't really go bad, I've used old highly roasted malts and haven't noticed any problems, so you really don't have to use everything up.

Back