British strong/old ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I've made some invert #2 based on light muscovado sugar, and had an idea to use it in a strong ale style beer in the near future, I think the fudgy character of the invert will be really nice in an ale of that kind.
I wanted to use first gold, but my LHBS didn't have any in stock, so I decided to use EKG and a dash of Mandarina Bavaria, since I want a little fruity/citrusy flavor but not in your face IPA like fruity.

Grain Bill:
Maris Otter 2.11kg 64%
Munich 1 490g 15%
160g Rolled Oats 5%
130g Brown Malt 4%
130g Carabohemian 4%
260g Muscovado #2 8%

Hops:
Challenger 13.4 g 60 min
EKG 15g 15 min
Mandarina Bavaria 7g 15 min

Mash at 67c/75min and add the syrup with the first runnings when I collect the wort
ferment at 19-20c with WLP007 dry english ale.

OG 1.075
FG 1.014
IBU 37
ABV 8.1%

Beersmith estimates the FG to1.014 with 80% atennuation but I have a feeling it will be a little lower in reality, I aim for around 7.5% abv, is it likely I will have lower attenuation than BS estimate or should I aim for a slightly lower OG?
Thankful for any critique since it will be my first try at a beer of this kind.
Edit: it's a 10L batch (11L post boil) and the amount of hops at 15 min are meant as 2g/L flavor additions.

Last edited:
The recipe looks good! What yeast are you using? That might shed a little light on your attenuation.

Then, yes, you may want to mash high. Not that a high mash temp assures low attenuation. Your best bet may be to forgo the invert and make up the O.G. points with extra dark crystal malt.

Then, yes, you may want to mash high. Not that a high mash temp assures low attenuation. Your best bet may be to forgo the invert and make up the O.G. points with extra dark crystal malt.
I don't really want low attenuation per se, just prefferably not over ~80%, wich on the other hand is the max capablility of this yeast, I'll mash at 68c and see if I end up in the high 70's - 80 somewhere.

Back