Honey Blonde Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So the wife has really been starting to enjoy honey blondes, and the more of my beer she likes the more I'll get to make so I'm working on a recipe and could use a little critique on it, normally I just make higher ABV SMaSH beers and this is my first blonde

So here we go!

5 gallons (7 gallon start)

OG 1.054
FG 1.013
ABV 5.46
IBU 17.33

8lbs 2-Row
1Lb Honey Malt
8oz honey (flameout)

Mash @152 for 60 minutes

.5 oz Liberty for 60
.5 oz Liberty for 20
1 oz Liberty for 5

I plan to ferment about 7 days then add another 8oz of honey and give it another 5 days before kegging

Any input is greatly appreciated!

PS happy Easter all!

Honey malt is pretty strong flavored, so you should get plenty of honey flavor from that amount- too much for me, but maybe not for her. It should be crisp and dry, with a distinct sweet honey flavor from the honey malt. I think it looks good if that is what you want!

That’s a lot of honey malt. I’ve added 6 oz in a blonde but I also added apricot purée. It works well in that recipe.
I would start w 8 oz like dmtaylor said.

I can cut it, I want lots of honey flavor but nothing so sweet it's like some of the wines she drinks. This will be my first crack at a light(er) beer

I'll try the 8oz and go from there!

Thank You!

I add honey at flame out and post fermentation. The only reason I add at flame out (actually during chilling-usually at 140f), is if I want an accurate starting gravity. Otherwise, I just throw in the fermenter after 3 or 4 days.

What yeast will you use?
Reducing honey malt in the recipe is a good idea and the grains you have will make a firm base to modify. Blonde recipes are pretty forgiving and almost any yeast besides the hefeweizen yeasts will work well.

I havnt fully decided yet if I'm going to just use a clean American Ale yeast or exbeeriment with a culture I've made from tha dregs of a few different pales and wheats

Thank you all again for the assistance! I am glad I cut the honey malt down and upper the actual honey content. All in all it's around 5.5% and it was a huge hit with the wife and she is already asking for more

Latest posts

Back