Honey Amber Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandw12786

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm looking to brew an all grain honey amber ale, and I'm using Midwest's Honey Amber kit recipe, so here it is:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.27 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4.24 %
0.15 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 1.27 %
0.15 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 1.27 %
0.50 oz Galena [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 22.7 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (2 min) Hops 1.3 IBU
2.00 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 16.95 %

Mash at 152, add the honey at about 10 mins before the end of the boil.

I'm wondering if this is a pretty good recipe for an amber, or if there's something else I should do instead (hops or malts)... any suggestions, or should this end up pretty good?

If you want the honey flavors & aroma to come through .. my recommendation is to not boili the honey at all. Add it post-boil, during whirlpool or cool-down. I add mine at 125-120-F, just because it helps dissolve it a bit. That will keep most of the aromatics & flavors in the final product.

Also, I typically put 1# of honey in a 5-gal batch of light beer (perhaps 1.5# in a darker beer), and it gives a nice noticable honey touch. 2# will be a bit more foreward ... if that is what you want. :)

:tank:
--LexusChris

Thanks, maybe we'll dial the honey down a bit to 1.5#. That's just what Midwest's kit comes with, so that's what I was going to get. The rest of the recipe look good for an amber? First time doing an amber (well... second, but the first was a brewers best kit and turned out horrible, probably more our fault than the kit), and my second all grain. Would assume the recipe is good since they sell it as a kit, but just thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestions. :)

Back