homemade conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmk

Reaction score
I got this ss conical for $15. I bought from Craigslist. When I got there I noticed it had slots for sight gages in the side with plastic inserts. They are not sealed. I also found a ss salad bowl that is the same diameter at 16" I was thinking it would work for the lid. The bottom of this conical isn't full drain. It's the size of a kitchen sink drain. I figured a ss drain would work. The problems are the sink drain is just coated brass. I need to figure out a seal for the lid, and how can I patch the slots in the side for sight gages? For the sight gages I was thinking of siliconing them in. What do you think of that? Or I could make a rubber gasket and bolt two together to sandwich the conical. This has been sitting in my garage for a couple years now. I did find a rubber washer for a commercial conical the same size dia, but that was a few years back and now I don't know where that site was. Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions and ideas. I am also thinking it might not be worth the effort but every time I look at it I think man that could be a beer fermenter! I have pictures but I don't know what url's are. I'll have to figure out how to post them.

Ok here are some pictures.

IMG_0082.jpg

View attachment IMG_0087.MOV

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

Find a welder that can weld in tri clamp components and see what he wants to fix the drain and the slot.

Is it safe to use a ss plated drain that is made of brass as a bottom fitting in this conical? Will the yeast eat it? Will they expose lead to the product?

I found an all plastic drain for $7.99. I should be able to thread an adapter to it and then to a valve. I found rubber seal at home depot for the lid. I'm just going to silicone the sight plastic in the sides.

Latest posts

Back