Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
0A60D3A0-E15A-44D3-8B89-4E1095B0F630.jpeg

Breaking bread on Easter Sunday.

Interesting that we have so many hobbies in common. I jumped on the home made bread train about 9 months ago and make it every weekend. Sourdough on Saturday and Loaves for the kids sandwiches on Sunday. So much fun to do. The second one down is a sourdough with roasted garlic, Goat cheese, Herb De Provence and Prosciutto. Tasted like a slice of ham sandwich :)

53713842_10155743145561148_8681586471087374336_n.jpg
56509951_10155787428336148_4696060792691228672_n.jpg
52043210_10155696764736148_3211986056748466176_o.jpg

Quick question for banneton users: Is there a secret to have your dough not stick? I've been flouring very generously (at least to my eye) but still have trouble with sticking. Any tips?

Hey. I use a banneton and love it. The secret is flouring your dough lightly as usual and then flouring your banneton with rice flour. The rice flour doesn't stick to the dough. Works great. No sticking. What I do is season the banneton by misting it with water, then using a shaker to evenly spread a coating of the rice flour (I use bobs red mill rice flour)

Hey. I use a banneton and love it. The secret is flouring your dough lightly as usual and then flouring your banneton with rice flour. The rice flour doesn't stick to the dough. Works great. No sticking. What I do is season the banneton by misting it with water, then using a shaker to evenly spread a coating of the rice flour (I use bobs red mill rice flour)

That's great, I would have never thought to mist the banneton before adding flour. I'll give that a whirl next time. Thanks!

I mentioned this on the pizza thread but am also going to add here. At this point I have filled many buckets and had my hands on quite a bit of dough. The dough from the simple truth organic flour, I perceive as being much better in color, feel, texture, and taste than gold medal. It should seem as no surprise that better flour taste and performs better, But for some reason I have neglected one of the most important ingredients. Anybody else use this flour or other flours that they want to comment on?

I mentioned this on the pizza thread but am also going to add here. At this point I have filled many buckets and had my hands on quite a bit of dough. The dough from the simple truth organic flour, I perceive as being much better in color, feel, texture, and taste than gold medal. It should seem as no surprise that better flour taste and performs better, But for some reason I have neglected one of the most important ingredients. Anybody else use this flour or other flours that they want to comment on?

I use either King Arthur or Bob's Red Mill bread flour for all of my bread and pizza doughs. The higher protein content helps with the rise as well.

I buy the cheap store-brand All Purpose flour to have on hand for things like cookies, brownies, pancakes, etc.

Like all things, you get what you pay for Scrappy,View attachment 626558
A couple of quick white loafs.

Last edited:
I wanted to try baking a loaf of bread that only used beer instead of water. For this experiment I used a milk stout for 100% of the hydration. I also added some stout soaked oatmeal to give it a little complexity.

The bread has a really nice roast/chocolate flavor that carried through from the stout. I'm still learning how to score with my lame and didn't quite cut deep enough so it didn't vent as well as I'd have liked. This lead to it being a little more moist inside than it should have been. Either way, this was a really fun bread to bake. I'm taking this to my local homebrew club meeting tomorrow for everyone to eat while we're sampling beers.

The full recipe and instructions are here: https://alegrebread.com/2019/05/14/stout-beer-oatmeal-bread/

WYZmCIx.jpg

gPNmJJu.jpg

Psq8PiL.jpg

Made some huge (no h sound, uge) rolls. Haha, filled salad bowl in hotel room all week with dough.
20190613_180805.jpeg
20190613_180717.jpeg

any one ever cook a loaf of bread on the grill? how'd you do it?

going to try one later. had some extra starter laying around and figured why not make it into a loaf.

any one ever cook a loaf of bread on the grill? how'd you do it?

going to try one later. had some extra starter laying around and figured why not make it into a loaf.
Great idea. Lots of pizza, but iirc bread too. When we remodeled we used it for a few weeks. It might have been rolls. Just like an oven using the hot side to control temp. Might cook better if raised, which is what I found with pizza as well. People used bricks or cans to raise pizza. If you have a 4 or 5 burner using outside two burners could be a good idea. Creating convection. Hope to see it.

Do you mind sharing the recipe? I want to get into making some bread but in baby steps. [emoji6]

I don't mind at all! I got it from somewhere and tweaked it a little. But you have to share a picture!

1 ½ cups warm water
2 TB sugar
2.5 tsp yeast (1 packet)
5 cups bread or AP flour (weigh it out - 600 grams or ~22 oz)
2 tsp salt
1/3 cup olive oil

- Mix the sugar and water together, then proof the yeast for 10 minutes. Stir in oil and make a slurry.

- Mix yeast slurry, flour, and salt together. Knead until it's smooth and stretchy, about 5 minutes by machine, 10 minutes by hand. If it seems too sloppy, add a little flour. If it's too stiff, add some water. You can add a little more oil as well.

- Stretch it into a ball and put it in a greased bowl to rise until double (60-90 minutes).

- Divide the dough in half and shape each half into a loaf. Put it on a parchment lined pan to proof for 30-45 minutes.

- Turn the oven on to preheat.

- When the loaves are ready, slash the tops and bake for 30-35 minutes.

You can shape this into any shape - round, long, even in a pan.

I don't mind at all! I got it from somewhere and tweaked it a little. But you have to share a picture!

1 ½ cups warm water
2 TB sugar
2.5 tsp yeast (1 packet)
2 tsp salt
1/3 cup olive oil

- Mix the sugar and water together, then proof the yeast for 10 minutes. Stir in oil and make a slurry.

- Mix yeast slurry, flour, and salt together. Knead until it's smooth and stretchy, about 5 minutes by machine, 10 minutes by hand. If it seems too sloppy, add a little flour. If it's too stiff, add some water. You can add a little more oil as well.

- Stretch it into a ball and put it in a greased bowl to rise until double (60-90 minutes).

- Divide the dough in half and shape each half into a loaf. Put it on a parchment lined pan to proof for 30-45 minutes.

Thank you very much. It will be a few weeks since we are in on vacation but I do want to make some homemade bread.
I’ll definitely post pictures even if I fail. Haha

1 ½ cups warm water
2 TB sugar
2.5 tsp yeast (1 packet)
2 tsp salt
1/3 cup olive oil

What temperature? 450?

damn, now i want to creep all you out with my bean flour breads! (vital gluten, wondermill)

i look forward to posting some pics!

@TandemTails a thank you for your site. https://alegrebread.com/ I've gathered and gained a lot of knowledge from it. I've also found some Joshua Weissman videos. He has dumbed it down in ways I can understand.
Thanks! I finally baked a couple loaves of bread today for the first time in a few months. Living in New Mexico in the summer without AC means using the oven as little as possible haha.

Latest posts

Back