Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, I will keep that in mind. I wonder about cut and lean dough? Maybe i am not cutting them big enough? Also lean dough vs other.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. I wonder about cut and lean dough? Maybe i am not cutting them big enough? Also lean dough vs other.

A little oil definitely makes dough easier to work with than lean dough.

IMG_0968.JPG

HipstamaticPhoto-563504804.679287.jpg

I’ve been doing some decorations on my loaves with stencils. The dark one is cocoa powder, the white is flour. Looks pretty cool.

Do you do that before you cook it or after

Before. Let it rise, then use a stencil to make the design. Lift it off carefully. Dark cocoa is black, cocoa is brown, flour is white. Some people use turmeric for yellow.

IMG_0953.JPG

That’s before baking it.

twisted rolls

Was using up some odds and ends, so it has wholemeal spelt sourdough (about 10% of flour weight) , white spelt, italian 00 bread flour and extra strong canadian flour, also some IDY then in the fridge for what ended up 48 hours I think.

It was a bit of a mess, but they seemed to work, tasty enough

BtcYOy5.jpg

5BBQr0O.jpg

Test run for tday rolls. Just lean dough and oiled before. After would have been nice too. Look at steel vs no steel. Have a soft loaf recipe I am also going to try. Some sprinkled with rosemary. Thanks for the tips. I think these will be my daily lunch rolls from now on. The pics dont quite do justice.
Screenshot_2018-11-17-11-23-24.png
Screenshot_2018-11-17-11-22-59.png
Screenshot_2018-11-17-11-22-00.png
Screenshot_2018-11-17-11-22-45.png

^^yum, have to try that. I am about to be on a roll terror. The ice cream scoop method, and, boom! Rolls. 18 to 20 per batch and they look good after 25 minutes. Might be done paying for them.

View attachment 601856

Semolina pane bianco. It’s stuffed with cheese, salami, and pesto.[/QUOTDude I just eat a
View attachment 601856

Semolina pane bianco. It’s stuffed with cheese, salami, and pesto.
I just ate but to be honest I would do my best to demolish that loaf! Do you have a recipe?, Link? Never did a stuffed loaf but have enjoyed a few, don;t know why I never went down this path.

Cheers and a very merry, happy, slash other holiday,festive time slash other or none of the other you may choose to celibate and or be forced to.

Enjoy your life for it is fleeting.

More rolls. Its so nice giving the kids pb&j on homemade rolls. No big deal just lean dough ice cream scooped out. About 16 per batch.
Screenshot_2018-12-16-20-36-52.jpeg

Help! I wanted to make my christmas monkey bread early. Didnt want to bake it, so I figured i would make it and bake later. Used small melon baller and scooped dough from bucket into mix of white and brown sugar, and a heaping tbl of saigon cinnamon. Put in casserole dish with parchment paper and lid. Plan is to pour melted stick of butter over it and bake Christmas morning. Then frost.

...but it has really risen, hope I am not making alcohol, what do I do? Thanks

Welp, the bread rose, and didnt get any bigger so I let it sit two days. Then on Christmas morning I melted a stick of butter in 2/3 c of white sugar and poured it on top. Baked it at 350 until 190 in the middle and then flipped upside down on to tray. Then frosted it. My wife called it a Christmas loaf and that is the way I would describe it too. Not monkey bread, but more of a cinnamon loaf. It was really really good. Woild definitely make again. The sweet and butter offset with the slightly salted lean dough were a great and hearty Christmas morning breakfast.

Porter Fruit Bread.

Bottled up my orange peel porter today and didn't save the yeast trub due it to being a 3rd generation from a commercial yeast. So I baked bread with it instead and added half cup of spent grain from this brew as well. I used too much trub and these loaves turned into yeast monsters crawling out of the bread tin within 15mins and rose stupidly in the oven. Despite that the texture is so light like cake and the crust crunchy yet quite thin. No bitterness from the hops since this batch was only brewed to 25IBU anyway. Slight hops flavour that complements the fruit and spice. Glazed with lemon syrup. We polished off one of these loaves for elevensies.

IMG_0660.jpg

Do you mind sharing the recipe?

I haven’t been on the forum for a while, sorry for the delay!

King Arthur has a recipe for pane bianco, but I do it a little different.

10 oz flour
5 oz semolina flour
8 oz water
2tsp salt (I think)
1 TB oil
1 TB sugar

Mix the sugar in the water and proof the yeast.

Mix everything together and need until smooth.

Let it ferment for an hour or so until it’s double.

Punch down and pat or roll it into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick.

The filling:
Diced pepperoni
Pesto
Parmesan cheese
Mozzarella cheese

Cover the surface with fillings, then roll it up like a cinnamon roll.

Use a razor to slice down the length of it about half way through. There are several layers from rolling it. Leave an inch at each end uncut. (Does this make sense?)

Form it into an S-shape with the ends tucked under. It it proof 30-60 minutes. Sprinkle with park and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

I think that’s how I did it!

An in-law gave me a sourdough starter he's had going for a few years. I hadn't played with a sourdough starter before.

So far we've had pizza, and pancakes (twice). Tonight I finally made a loaf with it. I got instructions from an episode of America's Test Kitchen / Cook's Country you can find on YouTubes. Tastes pretty good.

IMG_20190113_193256.jpg
IMG_20190113_194958.jpg

Hey all,

I’ve never made bread before. I’m gonna try making sour dough from wild yeasts. Any tips?

Also I have 25lbs + of barley and I can’t make beer for a while and would like to make space. Has anyone made bread our of their brew grains? Any good recipes?

Tip : stir the seed culture twice a day so it absorbs your home wild yeasts. That's the way it was for the Belgian witbier, the yeast was stirred before inoculating the batch ( memory from Pierre Celis, the founder of Hoegaarden brewery) . If you are serious about bread baking I suggest to get a copy of "artisan breads every day" and to join thefreshloaf forum.Interesting info from cooksinfo: https://www.cooksinfo.com/malted-barley-flour .

Last edited:
Haven't been baking much lately, and seeing all these fancy breads make me think I should try some of these! Wow. So pretty and yummy looking.

For me, just a simple set of Boozy Apple Cinnamon mini loaves, made with some of the lees from the cider I kegged yesterday. Made a sponge out of some of it overnight, and baked them up today cause we needed an excuse to run the oven!

Attachments

• 20190211_154144.jpg
    20190211_154144.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 56
Back