What's your favorite sandwich?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammy86

Still thirsty
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For dinner this evening the Mrs. and I made a favorite sandwich of ours from when we first started dating:

Ciabatta Bread
Breaded Chicken Cutlet dipped in lemon vinaigrette.
Feta Cheese
Spinach or Romain Lettuce
Tomato
Caramelized Onions
More lemon vinaigrette

Then pressed in the panini press.

Went stellar with my HB Kolsch.

So what's your favorite sandwhich? I can't take credit for this sandwich though the original can be found here:

Panini #5

• NY-style bacon, egg, & cheese on a buttered hard roll. Over medium, pepper, no salt.
  • Eggplant or meatball parm on garlic bread
  • Cream cheese & lox on a fresh everything, open-faced
  • My buddy's Italian sausage & pepper sandwich from when we were camping a ton as teenagers.
  • Dad's Sunday lunch sandwich. One of the first things he learned to cook for himself, then taught to me when I was 10 or so. A minute steak cooked fast and simple. Gotta get back to the TV for the rest of the game. Maybe a few onions. Served on a kaiser roll. That's it. Not a great sandwich, but it comes with thoughts of Dad.
  • My version of Dad's steak sandwich. Grilled onions, cheddar, horseradish sauce, thin-sliced leftover rib roast or sirloin steak, etc.
  • A perfect pub/steakhouse burger. More mythical than a memory of a specific burger. Call it a King Arthur Burger.
  • Matzo with charoset & maror
  • Pastrami on rye with deli mustard and well-drained creamy slaw.
I could go on, but I'm hungry now.

Last edited:
I don't know that this is really a favorite, but it brings back memories of working on my grandparents' farm where you might only have a few seconds to grab something to eat on those super busy days like when you need to get the hay up before the rains come later in the afternoon. I assembled a sandwich using only applesauce and farm-fresh cream corn (not that canned crap). At the time, it was like the best thing in the world.

For dinner this evening the Mrs. and I made a favorite sandwich of ours from when we first started dating:

Ciabatta Bread
Breaded Chicken Cutlet dipped in lemon vinaigrette.
Feta Cheese
Spinach or Romain Lettuce
Tomato
Caramelized Onions
More lemon vinaigrette

Then pressed in the panini press.

Went stellar with my HB Kolsch.

So what's your favorite sandwhich? I can't take credit for this sandwich though the original can be found here:

Panini #5
Actually, if its just one sandwich, it’s a panino.

My favorite sandwich has to be a classic. The combination of crispy bacon, fresh lettuce, and juicy tomato slices sandwiched between two slices of toasted bread is simply irresistible.

That sandwich sounds absolutely delicious! It's always fun to recreate favorite meals from when you first started dating. My favorite sandwich is a classic BLT, but with a twist. I like to use thick-cut applewood smoked bacon, heirloom tomatoes, and avocado on sourdough bread. I also like to add a spread of garlic aioli for some extra flavor. It's simple but satisfying, and the combination of flavors and textures is hard to beat. Do you have any other favorite sandwich recipes you enjoy making?

Depends on your definition of "sandwich". I've become addicted to shrimp soft tacos. I use 'medium-sized shrimp with 4 shrimps per soft taco. I marinade with 'Slap ya Mama - hot blend' to get some heat, but not hide the flavor of the shrimp. I put them in a non-stick fry pan with a bit of coconut oil, plus will add a touch more 'Slap ya Mama' if it looks like it didn't marinade correctly. Heat the flour tortillas over the open flame on the stove while the shrimp are cooking. The simplest version is just assembled with sour cream with a splash of lime juice. The trick is to get 'Slap ya Mama' at the perfect level where you can taste the shrimp, but the heat lingers after eating the taco. Other variations include using guacamole (I've found a variety that comes in a squeeze tube like the sour cream). Super easy.

If shrimp are not your thing, then pulled pork, some shredded beef, homemade refried beans, or similar. Add some salsa, sour creme, guac, cheddar cheese, or similar combinations of stuff. Also super easy to do once the pork, beef, or refried beans are prepared. I like cranberry beans instead of pinto beans.

One other thing I like is spray a Pyrex boil with olive oil spray, add a couple eggs, scramble, put in the microwave for a 1.5 to 2.0 minutes (start at 1.0, then keep adding 30 seconds) until cooked. I also will top with cheddar cheese while in the microwave. While those are cooking heat up one flour tortilla over an open flame. Splash some Tapitio hot sauce, wrap up, and eat (once it has cooled down a bit - especially if cheese was melted). A nice meal in maybe 3 minutes.

Last edited:
Deli near me has a New Yorker that I absolutely love: Corned Beef, Swiss, Garlic, Coleslaw and Thousand Island on rye. Hands down my favorite.

Fried liver wurst with caramelized onions and German mustard on a pretzel bun. I didn’t invent it and I don’t eat this calorie rich creation very often, but when I do it’s a treat.

Perhaps my favorite is one I don't seem to eat often enough - warm thinly sliced roast pork, with broccoli rabe that's been sauteed in olive oil and garlic, topped with provolone cheese on ciabatta bread, then pressed in a panini press.

But it's tough to beat a pork, lamb, or chicken spiedie topped with sauteed broccoli rabe on freshly baked Italian bread.

Perhaps my favorite is one I don't seem to eat often enough - warm thinly sliced roast pork, with broccoli rabe that's been sauteed in olive oil and garlic, topped with provolone cheese on ciabatta bread, then pressed in a panini press.

But it's tough to beat a pork, lamb, or chicken spiedie topped with sauteed broccoli rabe on freshly baked Italian bread.
Well I was gonna go with a proper Reuben until I read your post... which reminded me of the roast pork sandwich with broccoli rabe from DiNic's in reading terminal market, god I love that sandwich.

On a side note, I am really glad this thread doesnt have pictures, I'm ready for a carb overload just reading about it.

Back