Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, every one of those style loaves you make look alike. You're good to achieve that! :mug:

Thank you.

Is there s general rule on time and temp when baking bread. I can't seem to get it right lately

I preheat as hot as the oven gets, longer the the over says it's up to temp, turn it down to 400F and bake to an internal temp of 200F.

I also add 3/4 to a cup of hot water to a pan in the bottom of the oven as the dough goes in.

For sourdough, has anyone tried kettle souring with raw grain for the lacto starter? Seems like that would be faster than some of the flour starters I've seen online.

My starter recently lost its sour punch, though it still gives a good flavor and texture. Must have fridged it too long. I'm considering something like that to re-invigorate it. Haven't yet...

Anyone ever use one of these things?

My wife picked this up for Christmas and I haven't broken it in just yet. It proofs and bakes in this thing as I understand it. Anything I need to look out for?

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone ever use one of these things?

My wife picked this up for Christmas and I haven't broken it in just yet. It proofs and bakes in this thing as I understand it. Anything I need to look out for?

I remember them being mentioned, don't recall a loaf.
I have posted pictures proofing loafs using parchment and kitchen towels to prop them up and I'll post my latest method "hanging' the dough in parchment if I remember in a couple days, works for me:mug:

Ok so now that i have cleaned up the drool from my key board i have a question regarding sourdough. I want to start making it but not sure how much i will actually be making. Once i get a starter established will it survive if i make say 1 or 2 loafs a month?

I have let my starter go 3 months or so without feeding I the coldest part of my fridge 5 or so times over the last 7 years, it has always come back to life. Keep it stored cold for long storage.

Ok so now that i have cleaned up the drool from my key board i have a question regarding sourdough. I want to start making it but not sure how much i will actually be making. Once i get a starter established will it survive if i make say 1 or 2 loafs a month?

I don't bake much in the summer, it sits lonely in the fridge and anxiously springs back to life like a loyal dog;)

Does cornbread count? I baked some after dinner on a whim. My wife said "cornbread would go really good with this" so I made cornbread.

So I made the basic White Bread with Poolish from Flour Water Salt Yeast, and I want to make some variations off that. If i wanted to add dried fruit to it, would I need to change anything to the base recipe? And, when would I need to add in the fruit? I'm currently thinking orange peel and cranberries.

So I made the basic White Bread with Poolish from Flour Water Salt Yeast, and I want to make some variations off that. If i wanted to add dried fruit to it, would I need to change anything to the base recipe? And, when would I need to add in the fruit? I'm currently thinking orange peel and cranberries.

Limited experience, and not familiar with the specific recipe, but I would add it after the dough has had a little time to proof, but early in the process. Want some structure to fold it into.

Feeding the beast:
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452218163.587434.jpg

Limited experience, and not familiar with the specific recipe, but I would add it after the dough has had a little time to proof, but early in the process. Want some structure to fold it into.

Feeding the beast:
View attachment 328376

I would concur, add as you kneed, never done a fruit bread but would probably add a slight amount of liquid to account for the amount the dried fruit will absorb.
With experience you'll learn what you want your dough to feel like.

I would concur, add as you kneed, never done a fruit bread but would probably add a slight amount of liquid to account for the amount the dried fruit will absorb.

Good point. Might also be good to rehydrate the dried fruit in liquid, maybe OJ if you're adding orange zest. Boil the cranberries in some OJ and let it steep in the liquid.

I saw somewhere else that they were using raisins, and they soaked them in warm water before kneading them in the dough.

My mom makes cinnamon-raisin swirl bread. She adds the (pre-soaked) raisins to the dough before her last addition of flour, so the dough is still wet when the fruit goes in.

IDK if this helps any...

How am I just now discovering this thread?

From now on bread pics will go here instead of the "what did i cook this weekend" thread.

First time with this new recipie... Ugly bread! It's too late to eat it. Update tomorrow.

image.jpg

Latest "boozy bread", about 1/3 to 1/2 WW and the rest bread flour, more honey, salt, and the lees from my Dec 20 cyser using Muntons Premium Gold Yeast, racked this morning into secondary.

I know, I should have saved the yeast, but I don't have anything but a lager on the schedule right now, and have a second packet of the yeast in the fridge. I *really* hate to toss it. So boozy bread gets made. Especially since the temp went down all day, a good hot oven bread making session is in order. Eaten with home made pea soup (made earlier and frozen.)

boozy bread jan 2016.jpg

Back