Home Depot Water Cooler: Yes or No?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FizorZed

Reaction score
Hey, all. I searched the threads about this but didn't find a specific answer. It sounds like people have been using the HD Rubbermaid watery coolers successfully enough. But I am just curious if it has the same thermal properties as an Igloo 10 Gal cooler. Will the Home Depot cooler keep my mash hot enough without having to wrap it? Or should I return it and wait for the arrival of the Igloos?

Thanks for your replies.

I think you'd be fine. Mine is a Coleman or something. Just a cooler I found in my garage. As long as there is a spiggot to convert to a ball valve, you're good to go. You can always drape a blanket or something over it to keep the heat in.

depends on the temps in your brewing area, i brewed with the mentioned cooler converted into a mash tun and lost 2 degrees over the 1 hr mash. it was about 35 in my garage.

Been using my home depot cooler mash tun for 2 years now, works great!
temp drops maybe 1 deg over 1 1/2 hr mash if you preheat the tun...nothing but good to say about it!

outside temp 90

I have always used the HD Rubbermaid cooler and mash in my basement. I have never lost more than a degree over my longest of mashes (90 minutes for my Witbier).

Go with the HD MLT.

Now the debate for me is to use the false bottom I just bought or stick with the reliable braid.

It should be fine. When I brew outside in the cold of Colorado winters, I just use a old sleeping bag over my cooler. With it I can keep my mash temp without losing even a single degree, over a 90-120 min mash, at outside temps around 10!

Aren't the HD coolers Igloos? Anyway, I bought mine from Lowes using the 10% price match. Most of my temp loss is due to the tun not being preheated enough. I guess I just haven't figured out how to do that. After, it stabilizes fine, but I get the best results from draping an old down comforter over it. For me, most of the heat is lost out the hollow lid.

My MT/LT is HD cooler converted. Bought for about $30. Was easy to convert and holds the temp perfectly. Go for it.

I pre heat my HD 10 gallon Mash Tun with 140 degree water for about 15 min with the lid screwed on.... I made a copper manifold that I cover with a 5 gallon paint strainer for the Mash..... Works great... Lauter is always clear of grain parts.. Never clogs

Jay

Awesome. Thanks for the advice, guys. Next step is to order the valve kit and get this puppy ready for a brew. I'm getting the feeling that HD is keeping these things stocked in the winter because of home brewers. :)

Awesome. Thanks for the advice, guys. Next step is to order the valve kit and get this puppy ready for a brew. I'm getting the feeling that HD is keeping these things stocked in the winter because of home brewers. :)

Don't order a valve kit. Save yourself some money by buying the parts and putting it together based on these instructions:

Converting a cooler to a mash tun - Home Brewing Wiki

+2 on that, you can pick up everything you need for the valve and manifold at HD in one shot (although some don't carry a wide range of SS washers)

FlyGuy's build thread has a parts list including pics of the in-store packaging, which is pretty helpful:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheap-easy-10-gallon-rubbermaid-mlt-conversion-23008/

Following others recommendations here, I also drilled into the top of my lid and filled it with Great Stuff, works great, I lose at most 1 degree during the mash

I'll be a contrarian here. I would order the parts on a site like bargainfittings. I hate wandering around HD and Lowe's looking for piece parts when I can get the parts from an outfit who understands what I want to do and has everything I need grouped together in a nice package.

They have those SS 5/8" washers in a "Create-a-Bolt" kit (at HD). I think it cost about $3-5. If you can't find them there see if you have a local Fastenal in town.

I'll be a contrarian here. I would order the parts on a site like bargainfittings. I hate wandering around HD and Lowe's looking for piece parts when I can get the parts from an outfit who understands what I want to do and has everything I need grouped together in a nice package.

There is an exact parts list in FlyGuy's thread, with part numbers and everything. You can even place an order online and just go pick it up at the store same day. I just bought another smaller cooler (5 gal) for smaller batches). I ended up needing extra fender washers for the 5 gal (I think 6 total on the MLT and 6 more for the HLT).

The 5/8" SS fender washers can be hard to find. The smaller HD in my area didn't carry them and I was lucky enough to to have a larger one just 15 miles away. The guy with the orange apron even called the other store for me and had them set the washers aside.

Back