Fly Sparge on Home Depot 10g cooler lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All,

My apologies, but I have searched for hours for a post.

It shows how to use the lid of the cooler with PEX tubing (small white tubing from Home depot), 2 "T" junctions, and parts to mount it to the lid. On the top side, it connects to water and holes are drilled in the tubing. I've attached a photo of it (I found it almost a year ago when I just started brewing).

Any help locating this would be great. I have seen several copper tubing options in my searches, but I am looking for this one specifically.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20171002_223619.jpg
    20171002_223619.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 589
I am looking for this same content ... any luck? Did you just do it? Lemmie know would ya?

I never got anything back. As I pondered the easiest way to make this happen, I just created my own version. For fear of ruining the lid, I didn't really want to put a hole in it. Then, I remembered that I don't typically put the lid on it when I sparge anyhow. I used CPVC (Schedule 80, high temp--grey) pipe to make a 3-spoke system.
Parts (all 1/2")
3' - CPVC
1 - Y adapter
2 - 90 degree elbow, plain
2 - caps
1 - 90 degree elbow, with one side threaded FPT
1 - Camlock MPT

I use pumps for my system with camlocks at ends of hoses, so you would have to make the 3rd elbow meet the needs of your system.

Build process:
I cut the 3' pipe into 3 equal pieces (to start with) and attached them to the Y-adapter. I set that onto the home depot cooler and marked the ends of where to cut...then cut. Next, attach the elbows to the 3 legs. You will need the spare CPVC to make a small piece of pipe go down from 2 (or 3, depending on your setup) of the elbows. This allows you to cap the ends and prevent water from coming out (2 of the legs, the 3rd is your water intake). Lastly, drill 2 small holes into each leg of the CPVC for water to flow out. Based on pressure and flow rate, you may need to adjust or add more holes--start small and few number holes, then increase size or number to get more flow. I found that 3 holes on each leg was sufficient for my system.

Let me know if this makes sense...I will try to get a picture to you shortly. It basically looks like a 3-fingered claw that sets on top of the cooler.

Will

Attachments

• sparge.jpg
    sparge.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 137
  • cooler.jpg
    cooler.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 138
Last edited:
All,

My apologies, but I have searched for hours for a post.

It shows how to use the lid of the cooler with PEX tubing (small white tubing from Home depot), 2 "T" junctions, and parts to mount it to the lid. On the top side, it connects to water and holes are drilled in the tubing. I've attached a photo of it (I found it almost a year ago when I just started brewing).

Any help locating this would be great. I have seen several copper tubing options in my searches, but I am looking for this one specifically.

Thanks!

I am looking for this same content ... any luck? Did you just do it? Lemmie know would ya?

This one?

Back