Snakebite.... Is Nitro the only way?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broken Crow

Ale's what cures 'ya
Reaction score
So... About 30 years ago, my crowd was a major contributor to one of my favourite local bars being given an outdoor Guinness sign for being the highest per-capita seller of Guinness in Canada. Most of us who could afford it bought Guinness, but hey...we like variety and especially like less mainstream things like cider was at that time and this bar was one of the first places to serve the later popular "Snakebite". (If you don't know it, you probably can't answer this question, but if you're curious, do try one.. you can do an image search here to see the aesthetic attraction: snakebite guinness and cider at DuckDuckGo )
Anywho... since I've had 4 drinks on tap for a while now, entirely CO2 served..My Girlfriend has tried to make Snakebites from the cider on tap#1 and the stout on tap #4, but it always blends no matter how careful she is (..and yes, she uses the spoon).
I don't have a nitro tap and have no intention of installing one...this is a personal preference as I feel this 'newfangled' practice from Guinness in the 1950's, while it does give a nice creamy finish that I do occasionally enjoy, to stout..takes away that 'sharp-edge' that I enjoy most of the time. No judgement on you beer-gas users!..as said, I occasionally do enjoy it..when I'm out...I wouldn't want it often enough to install it at home.... BUT: I have a suspicion that the nitro may play a role in keeping the stout layered on top of the cider. Maybe it's the brain-damage again keeping me from seeing what should be obvious, but I (and my Girlfriend who carries all the kegs for me), would deeply appreciate any guidance if we can make a snakebite at my kegerator without the nitro.

Last edited:
The Snakebite and Black and Tan work because the stout in less dense (lighter) than the beverage below it so it floats. Perhaps it has to do with the density of your stout and cider rather than the nitro? Maybe make a heavier cider or a lighter stout or both? Good luck!🍻

Back