10 gallon rubbermaid home depot cooler conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yaakov

Doing my best
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Where can I get a valve assembly (stainless 304) that will just slip right into a home depot rubbermaid round cooler, so ‘i can use it for a hot liquor tank?
this, for some reason is like a mystery item.
I don’t really want a parts list…just where can I buy the proper assembly? I need a 1/2” barb on the end.
thanks in advance!

Pretty sure you need to buy parts. Weldless bulkhead, ball valve, 1/2" barb, and don't forget a pickup tube or elbow for the inside to get more liquid out.

BrewHardware and BargainFittings are pretty common sites to get them.

True Weldless Bulkhead - With 90 ELBARB (mini diptube) or True Weldless Bulkhead - With Elbow for the bulkhead. Make sure to read the details for the different types of coolers and size hole to ensure you get the right one. For the other side you just need 1/2" NPT ball valve, whatever type you prefer and 1/2" NPT barb. Make sure you have plumbers tape as well.

Thank you so much! I have ordered everything as you prescribed, and I ordered it for the Rubbermaid cooler with an extra “O” ring option. In addition, I ordered a 1/2 inch npt ball valve with 1/2” barb from Amazon. I had a hell of a time finding the proper parts until you helped me. For instance, that extra “O” ring is something nobody else talks about… Again, thank you!

That’s great. Coolers can be confusing. Igloo coolers take a 13/16 nipple through them. Rubbermsid takes a 7/8” with an extra “O” ring to hold everything centered when tightening it. Rubbermaid 10 gallon round coolers come with the standard push down button valve for everyday picnic and day usage. That valve is seated inside a ~1/2” rubber gasket. To convert the cooler you have to pull that gasket out and it leaves a ~1” hole. Finding the proper configuration, that wouldn’t leak was difficult for me, so that is why I finally inquired. TenaCJed sent me in the tight direction. His message is right above yours.
I just upgraded my equipment:
What I have for a tun is a 8 gallon Mega Pot from Northern Brewer. It has probably the strongest false bottom in the business. I haven’t used it yet. The cooler that I am converting is for a hot liquor tank (sparge water). Then I got a Gas One 10 gallon boiler pot with thermometer, tri-clad bottom and valve assembly from Amazon for $109. In addition, I got a Gas One 200,000 btu propane burner on sale on Amazon for $87. All this is quite sufficient for my needs. Maybe a little too much, but I had been making beer in a e5L Digiboil which did a great job.
It was just the proper valve assembly that has been holfing me up.
Thank you kindly gor your help and information :)

My bad man, I did not realize any coolers had a 1" hole through them. I've converted 4 coolers into mash tuns over the years and every one has had a 7/8" hole for 1/2" trade size. Glad you got the parts you need and happy brewing!

My bad man, I did not realize any coolers had a 1" hole through them. I've converted 4 coolers into mash tuns over the years and every one has had a 7/8" hole for 1/2" trade size. Glad you got the parts you need and happy brewing!
Well, my bad, I was totally wrong…you were right! 7/8” is the reality. I made my mistake by pulling the washer/seal out of the cooler. That measures 1” with it out. I got it all put together this morning and I should be ready to go. I thank you and TenaCJed so much for your guidance and informs]ation!

You were right!

Back