HLT and RIMS Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mykayel

Reaction score
I'm doing my research on building an electric system and contorl pannel. When I do my build I probably won't do the RIMS right away just do to cost of it. But my question is, with a RIMS system, I assume once you are done mashing, you use the RIMS to bring the temp up to 170 F and then begin to fly or batch sparch using heated water from an HLT. So in order to do that you would need at least two elements running at the same time to heat up the mash with the RIMS and heat up the sparge water in the HLT. How do you accomplish this? Or do you use two smaller elements so that the two combined loads don't exceed 24 or so amps (or a combined 5500 watts in the two elemnts)? Or am I missing something basic here?

A lot of guys use a smaller element for their RIMS tube heating. Say they have a keggle system, they might use 5500 watt in the bk/HLT... but maybe a 1500 in the rims or something similar. This is one way to lower the amperage load while still being able to run 2x elements at once.

I'm doing my research on building an electric system and contorl pannel. When I do my build I probably won't do the RIMS right away just do to cost of it. But my question is, with a RIMS system, I assume once you are done mashing, you use the RIMS to bring the temp up to 170 F and then begin to fly or batch sparch using heated water from an HLT. So in order to do that you would need at least two elements running at the same time to heat up the mash with the RIMS and heat up the sparge water in the HLT. How do you accomplish this? Or do you use two smaller elements so that the two combined loads don't exceed 24 or so amps (or a combined 5500 watts in the two elemnts)? Or am I missing something basic here?

You didn't mention what your electrical source is.

I solved my load concerns with a 50amp GFCI Breaker.
I use a 5500 watt element in the HLT & BK (only one at a time), and a 1500 watt element in the RIM's tube. In addition, I run 2 March pumps, the control panel and laptop.

Ed

Well after doing more reading, I'll probably end up doing a HERMs system which would solve the probable of two elements and avoid any scorching issues that RIMS systems seem to often have. That and I'll be able to stay with my planned 30amp wirng instead of running wire for a 40 or 50 amp system.

Latest posts

Back