Hipsters? Am I really so close to being one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel for ya, man... I keep getting labeled a hipster, although I'm just a random ensemble of misc. personality types.

The main thing is that hipsters don't genuinely love the weird **** they claim to. They listen to 1995 k-pop, and they don't speak a word of Korean. They take forever to get ready and wear used, ill-fitting clothes that don't feel good, but look "interesting", and yet they claim they just put on "whatever was around" because it was comfy. (I know a few hipsters, and they take more time to get ready than my wife)

I like weird ****, but I actually like it.

Also, I'm with you... why the eff are pickles hipster? My 20mth old daughter loves pickles. She also loves Dora and eating sand. I grew up eating pickled food and homemade breads 'n stuff, because that's what my grandma used to make on the farm. Not my fault that my palate works and I'd rather have homemade foods - that being said, I eat a lot of mass produced junk since I'm lazy.

So, my one friend is working in a gentrifying (read: hipster-ridden ;)) part of Cincinnati and swears that the new hipster in-thing is blacksmithing. I don't know what -- artisanal ironic oversized belt buckles?

Anyone else heard that one? The rest of us are kind of assuming he is just talking out of his butt to see how we react.

So, my one friend is working in a gentrifying (read: hipster-ridden ;)) part of Cincinnati and swears that the new hipster in-thing is blacksmithing. I don't know what -- artisanal ironic oversized belt buckles?

Anyone else heard that one? The rest of us are kind of assuming he is just talking out of his butt to see how we react.

Crap! I guess I need to return my anvil and tongs...

But, if you were doing it before everyone else, that's like +50 hipster street cred!

I have problems putting people shoes on my own feet. I'm surely not messing around with horseshoes and crazy stuff like that.

I joke that I'm a hipster but I'm much more of a Reagan conservative type. I might just not have evolved, as I'm probably more of an old school Yuppie than a hipster.

While I agree, I will say that the trend of ladies in their twenties and early thirties wearing t-shirts and wool hats is pretty cute.

Agreed. Women can do whatever they want. It's their prerogative.

Blacksmithing? I have to admit that sounds kinda cool. I'd like to try that myself. I don't think I'd add a forge to my basement though.

I am currently taking a welding class, but that's so I can build brewing stuff and fix up my old car.

I feel for ya, man... I keep getting labeled a hipster, although I'm just a random ensemble of misc. personality types.

The main thing is that hipsters don't genuinely love the weird **** they claim to. They listen to 1995 k-pop, and they don't speak a word of Korean. They take forever to get ready and wear used, ill-fitting clothes that don't feel good, but look "interesting", and yet they claim they just put on "whatever was around" because it was comfy. (I know a few hipsters, and they take more time to get ready than my wife)

I like weird ****, but I actually like it.

I'm with you on this. I like weird stuff too. It really pisses me off when it suddenly becomes popular. It totally ruins it for me.

I've been riding road bikes for about 15 years. I stopped doing it because suddenly everyone else is. There are packs of Lance wanabees out there in their $400 spandex outfits and helmets. The bike trails are packed now. I used to be able to take off for a few hours of solitude. Now I feel like I'm part of a peleton every time I go riding.

Agreed. Women can do whatever they want. It's their prerogative.

Blacksmithing? I have to admit that sounds kinda cool. I'd like to try that myself. I don't think I'd add a forge to my basement though.

I am currently taking a welding class, but that's so I can build brewing stuff and fix up my old car.

stop! stop right now! I was a professor before I started welding! :p

1124080555a.jpg

That is literally the most hipster thing I have ever heard in my life.

Lol.

I saw a hipster at the farmers market that blew my mind. He looked like a 1849 gold rush era trapper. He had that weird little leather hat with the edges that curl up, filthy beard, a fox pelt on his back and like a decomposing chicken foot tied around his neck.

At first I was like "this dude is legit!" until I heard him speak in that annoying hipster tone and say "I've never tried rabbit before"

WTF! He looked like he should be killing one every day for breakfast! I tried to take a picture of him but my girlfriend intervened.

I'm with you on this. I like weird stuff too. It really pisses me off when it suddenly becomes popular. It totally ruins it for me.

I've been riding road bikes for about 15 years. I stopped doing it because suddenly everyone else is. There are packs of Lance wanabees out there in their $400 spandex outfits and helmets. The bike trails are packed now. I used to be able to take off for a few hours of solitude. Now I feel like I'm part of a peleton every time I go riding.

You mean we're actually trendsetters?!?!

I starting kayaking a very long time ago- mostly to get from point A to point B by myself (canoes were heavy back then!). I was biking alot in the late 80s and into the mid 90s. I brewed my first batch in 2000, but had been making wine for a long time before then.

Heck, I'm ahead of my time! My kids would argue that I'm stuck in the '80s, though. (I mean the 1880s).

That is literally the most hipster thing I have ever heard in my life.

Naw - I'm way too old for that.

There is no way I can get into a pair of skinny jeans.

Although I do have a beard. But it's not ironic. I've had it since 1983. I also wear flannel occasionally, but I've had that since 1983 as well.

Plus I work in a bank and wear suits. Banks are like kryptonite to hipsters. :D

So am I a hipster? Have I deluded myself into thinking I am an individual when in reality I am just a member of the most vilified community this side of Hitler youth? Perhaps I am just experiencing a fringe hipsterism?

Awesome. I am adding that to my vocabulary.

Reminds me of something: Why do hipsters love water? Because water was ice before it was cool!

So the take away here is do you do things because you liked them before they were cool?

How many hipsters does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Oh, don't worry about it, its some obscure number you've probably never heard of.

Naw - I'm way too old for that.

There is no way I can get into a pair of skinny jeans.

Although I do have a beard. But it's not ironic. I've had it since 1983. I also wear flannel occasionally, but I've had that since 1983 as well.

Plus I work in a bank and wear suits. Banks are like kryptonite to hipsters. :D

Liking obscure things, and then getting upset when they become popular is pretty much hipster modus operandi. I hate to break it to you, but I'm afraid you are in denial my friend. :D

For what it's worth, I'm sure I have some hipster tendencies. Anytime someone asks me if I saw _____ on television last night, I will invariably say something pretentious like "no dude, I don't even HAVE cable tv, I read books", and later I kick myself for sounding like some kind of smug fedora-clad @$$hole.

Or if someone asks me if I'm a Bud man or a Coors man (as if there were only two choices), it's "nah dude, I make my own beer" or "I prefer local micro brews that cost $10 a bottle, because I like beer more than I like money, apparently". And then wrap a scarf around my neck, ironically, because it's 95*F out.

I do admire the beards, however. If I could grow a massive cave-man beard, I would do it in a heartbeat. Last time I tried to grow one it looked like I glued a small handful of pubes to my face. It's a shame epic beards have become associated with hipster-*****ebaggery.

Liking obscure things, and then getting upset when they become popular is pretty much hipster modus operandi. I hate to break it to you, but I'm afraid you are in denial my friend. :D

For what it's worth, I'm sure I have some hipster tendencies. Anytime someone asks me if I saw _____ on television last night, I will invariably say something pretentious like "no dude, I don't even HAVE cable tv, I read books", and later I kick myself for sounding like some kind of smug fedora-clad @$$hole.

OK - I was curious about this so I got a few unbiased opinions.

I walked around at work and asked a few people if they would consider me a hipster. In general they laughed at me and said I'm too old.

One guy said I didn't fit into any category he was aware of. I'm not sure how to take that, but I think I like it. :mug:

My wife says I'm more the 'engineer' type. I'd have to agree with that. Engineers generally like weird stuff, they don't really care how they dress, and they are annoyed by everyone else who is not an engineer. My Dad is an engineer, so I know what I'm talking about.

I'm not an engineer, but I do develop software. That's pretty close.

I'm going with 'engineer'. :D

lose.

I'm going with 'engineer'. :D

Just wait... in a few years, America will get over its fascination with hipster-hating, and move onto a new subculture to hate. Probably engineers. There will be anti-engineer memes, rants, and youtube videos making fun of engineers all over the interwebs.

You may have escaped scrutiny and ridicule this time, but don't get comfortable, you're next. :fro:

"Those damn engineers.... with their over-analytical natures, their annoyingly precise habits.... their hard-hats.... their trains.... sorry I don't know anything about engineers."

Hipsters are just a rehash of the Beatnik. Dumb hats, large frame glasses, tight pants, tool cool for the room.

In the 90's it was grunge - I admit, I wore shorts and hiking boots and tied flannels around my waist. I was a ******.

The hipster of today in a decade will be regretting his ironic Genesis Invisible touch T shirt, PBR and tight jeans.

OP. Dude. Do do do dude.-- Hipsters totally want to be you! They just wont admit it.:cool::beard::cool::beard::cool::beard::cool::::beard::cool::beard::cool::beard::pipe:

They blacksmith steampunk crap. Steampunk is hipster. Complicated AND useless.

Like many things, intent is a consideration. Hipsterism involves co-opting aspects of a culture that is not your own in a way that is amusing (to yourself and your friends while annoying others). The amusement comes from distorting the original meaning and use of the artifact or practice.

As an example, the hats. Hats cover your head for warmth and protection. The kind of hats that men wore 30 years ago for those reasons are now worn because they are from another time (which = culture in a certain sense). They also wear stocking hats, not because they are all cold, but because it is amusing to wear a stocking hat in the middle of summer.

They refer to all of this as being "ironic," which is just one more thing that they have co-opted and redefined its use and practice.

(Bottom line: if you're a slob, but you're doing it because you think it's amusing/annoying, then you're a hipster. If you're doing it because you really don't care, then you're just a slob, and that's nothing to brag about, so don't. And finally, if you are doing it because you really don't care, but you are aware that you "really don't care," then you probably really do care, which makes you a poser, which is worse than straight hipster. And you should stop doing that as well. The best option is to simply embrace what you are.)

I'm so glad I have almost no conscious concept of identity with respect to "culture".

This thread is getting tiresome. I propose we start taking pictures of hipsters and posting them.

Hipster thread count - 1,946

Homebrewers get over yourselves...you enjoy a variety of things that hipsters do which makes you a hipster of varying degrees. Oh well, I still love you all just as much.

xoxo

Homebrewers get over yourselves...you enjoy a variety of things that hipsters do which makes you a hipster of varying degrees. Oh well, I still love you all just as much.

xoxo

Aww, I love you!

I'm so glad I have almost no conscious concept of identity with respect to "culture".

This thread is getting tiresome. I propose we start taking pictures of hipsters and posting them.

I really doubt that's true. How are you defining culture?

Like many things, intent is a consideration. Hipsterism involves co-opting aspects of a culture that is not your own in a way that is amusing (to yourself and your friends while annoying others). The amusement comes from distorting the original meaning and use of the artifact or practice.

As an example, the hats. Hats cover your head for warmth and protection. The kind of hats that men wore 30 years ago for those reasons are now worn because they are from another time (which = culture in a certain sense). They also wear stocking hats, not because they are all cold, but because it is amusing to wear a stocking hat in the middle of summer.

They refer to all of this as being "ironic," which is just one more thing that they have co-opted and redefined its use and practice.

(Bottom line: if you're a slob, but you're doing it because you think it's amusing/annoying, then you're a hipster. If you're doing it because you really don't care, then you're just a slob, and that's nothing to brag about, so don't. And finally, if you are doing it because you really don't care, but you are aware that you "really don't care," then you probably really do care, which makes you a poser, which is worse than straight hipster. And you should stop doing that as well. The best option is to simply embrace what you are.)

Now I'm really confused and my head hurts. Can't we all just get along?

Preferably without scarves! :D

xoxo
yeah, I'll see you at Burning Man...

Picture 008.jpg

Back