Highest OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palealerunner

Reaction score
My latest BIAB brew got me thinking, what is the highest OG you have achieved? This brew has been my highest at around 1.153 OG, not too surprising given the quantity of grains that went into the bag.
IMG_0467.jpg

The exact recipe was
2kg Maris Otter Pale
1kg Munich Pale
2kg Caramalt
2kg Wheat Malt
250g Melanoidin
250g Carapils
500g Brewer’s sugar.

Steep was 12 litres and ended up with about 9 litres which I sparged back to 12 litre for the boil.

After boil and cool the OG was taken then diluted down to 20 litre in the fermenter and another 5l in a demijohn. The OG once diluted was sitting around 1.060.

The demijohn wasn’t diluted as much but I never took a gravity.

I’ve just bottled the diluted batch, came in at 6.9%. I dry hopped with 50g each of Mosaic, Citra and Nelson Sauvin and boiled with Ekuanot and Bullion. It’s very fruity and the initial taste test suggests it could quite possibly be my best brew yet. Need to think of a name for it.

I’ve mixed half and half with a stout I had made and I’ve left in a demijohn for a secondary fermentation. Should come in a 6.1%. What classification of beer would that be? A fruity stout? [emoji23]

The Demijohn is still fermenting away.
But fortunately that’s ok, as I’ve just run out of bottles!

Tried a bottle of the IPA last night, only 2 days after bottling, so it’s only lightly carbonated but wow! It’s spot on. Massive nose of fruit and a massive tropical fruit taste with subtle biscuity and caramel sweetness. Another 2 weeks I will try another bottle.
I may never need to change my recipe now.

Back