High temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junedaddy75

Reaction score
Got a question; my sweet stout is bubbling away but the temp is at about 72-74. I am using w'yeast 1084 Irish ale which on the package says temperatures between 62-72. Will I be fine on the higher side? Or should I move it soon or wait till the bubbling subsides then move it. Pitched yeast Sunday night, came Monday night and it was bubbling away. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It would be good if you could drop the temperature below 70. I've had them ferment that warm though (in South Texas it is a given unless you work to prevent it) and everything was fine. You will likely have some off flavors, but it should still be drinkable. I place my fermenter in a large watertight container and fill the container with water up to just below the level of wort. Then I float frozen jugs of water in this to force the temperature to stay down. Every few hours I change the jugs for other frozen ones.

For the batch you have going right now you are probably almost done with the active stage. The yeast will get less active and the temperature will drop quite a bit--bubbling will get real slow and intermittent. Don't worry, this is normal. Let it sit for another couple weeks before checking the gravity and sampling. If you sample it right after the Kraeusen falls you'll think it's messed up, because it will have lots of off flavors that the yeast still need to clean up.

cluckk said:
It would be good if you could drop the temperature below 70. I've had them ferment that warm though (in South Texas it is a given unless you work to prevent it) and everything was fine. You will likely have some off flavors, but it should still be drinkable. I place my fermenter in a large watertight container and fill the container with water up to just below the level of wort. Then I float frozen jugs of water in this to force the temperature to stay down. Every few hours I change the jugs for other frozen ones.

For the batch you have going right now you are probably almost done with the active stage. The yeast will get less active and the temperature will drop quite a bit--bubbling will get real slow and intermittent. Don't worry, this is normal. Let it sit for another couple weeks before checking the gravity and sampling. If you sample it right after the Kraeusen falls you'll think it's messed up, because it will have lots of off flavors that the yeast still need to clean up.
I had put in the furnace room originally to ferment because the garage gets too cold up here in New England. Moved it this morning after your reply to another part of the basement to hopefully bring the temp down,should be around 65 or so. Hopefully that will help.

Latest posts

Back