High OG brew w/ low OG hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggraid101

Reaction score
So I'm brewing an Imperial Stout type beer, but my hydrometer only goes up to 1.070. I'm expecting it to be higher than that. If I dilute the wort with the same volume of water, and the hydrometer reads 1.040, is that equivalent to a OG of 1.080? If not, how do can I figure out what my OG is? Thanks!

BTW, the imperial stout is a partial mash, and this 5 gal batch has grains weighing in at about 8 pounds! I'm psyched. Hopefully I got my water chem calculation right, because I'm adding over 10 g of Calcium Carbonate. :rockin:

I don't know the formula for dilution. But an extra 5 bucks for a hydrometer would be well worth the investment. Or 30 bucks for a refractometer is money more than well spent.

I would bet you would just double it. 50% H2O @ 1.000 + 50% wort @1.080 = 1.040.

Oooh, I have a beer in the fermenter that is steady at 1.010, I'll do an experiment with that. I'll get back to you all this afternoon I hope.

Well, the experiment didn't go very well. I used equal amounts of water and beer with the 1.010 brew, and it came out less than 1.005, or it may have been user error.

When I tried it with the high OG wort, it came in at 1.040, which may have been just about right, but I think the water I used in the hydrometer was a little too warm. It's not too big a concern, just interesting to know. The Stout is bubbling away as we speak.

It should work just as you said. Mix 50/50 wort and water and you should get 50% the reading.

With BEER, it's different. Wort is sugar and water. Beer is sugar, water, and ALCOHOL. The addition of alcohol to the mix, (alcohol, which has a SG of 0.79), adds a third variable that you are also diluting.

So, this trick works with wort, not with beer. For you, you should be able to dilute high SG wort 50/50, measure the SG, and double it to get the true OG.

That makes perfect sense, Shorty. That's why the hydro reading post fermentation was off from the 50% I thought it would be.

Shorty's point is also why we talk about apparent attenuation, not actual and using a refractometer for finished beer is tricky.

Back