high fermentation temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AUS_scotty

Reaction score
Hi all very New to the home cider gig. This is the first time i have ever had a crack at it.

So my question is i have a cider in the fermenter now and its temp is 31c (88f). Will this damage the cider or will it just shorten the fermentation the kit i used said aim for 25~27c but that's a bit hard in the middle of summer in Australia when out side temp is 35c or higher.
Any help is appreciated

I live in South Florida so i know what you mean,from what i have read it won't ruin it but will affect the ferment time. I just did a batch of cider that turned out great and the temp here was above the recommended temp for the yeast used,it did finish very fast though but i'm not complaining about that.

I thought I read somewhere that you will also make various fusel alcohols with fermenting cider at higher temp's. It might have a little rocket fuel taste to it from what I've read.

I thought I read somewhere that you will also make various fusel alcohols with fermenting cider at higher temp's. It might have a little rocket fuel taste to it from what I've read.

I'd definitely agree with that! I'd do my best to keep the temperatures in the mid 70s at the highest.

Thanks guys

Might try move it somewhere cooler for now.

Im pretty excited about it, its great to be trying something new.

How about the other direction? Usually 65-75 degrees but it's winter now. The basement is 55-60 degrees. Will things work, just take longer? I read a slow fermentation is supposed to produce a smoother product.

Really depends on the yeast. What yeast are you using? If it's a wild strain, and your local weather can get down to freezing or below, those temps shouldn't even faze it. I had some happily chugging away at 40 degrees with a local wild strain. Ambient temp had to get to 30 for that yeast to flocculate well.

I'm using WLP775. Docs say ferment above 68 deg. 16 hrs in the starter and 16 hrs in the primary and it's foaming and bubbling now. I'm impressed.

Should work just fine with that yeast. Lower temps will take longer to a point, but with better results. If your patient, I'll think you'll be happy. I'm still learning the cider curve as well, and have yet to be disappointed.

So i bottled my brew after 8 days and fg was 1001. I used carbination drops in my bottle 'capped it and sat it in the dark in the cool ( well sorta still 30C + out side so maybe low 20's). SO i have a bottle in the fridge cooling down hopping to drink tonight, after 7days in the bottle.
Will this be fine or should i leave longer before i try it in??

You can drink it at any time. completely up to you. With it being so young, it might taste a little sour (green) or it might be kind of hot (alcohol taste) depending on your recipe. The longer you wait the more this will mellow out. But if it tastes good to you now...enjoy.

So chilled and severed its not to bad. Dry, which suits me fine Im not a sweet person at all. Nice apple flavour left in there, but it hast a strong yeast after taste. Ill leave another week see if it mellows out. Could be a bit green so to say

Back