Hi, I'm Sweet T, and brand new to homebrewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweet T

Reaction score
Why I'm here, in a nutshell:
I'm a cheap-ass (can we cuss in here?) so I've developed a strong desire to do some homebrewing.
I want to do it as cheap as possible, with the best results. Willing to buy the "right" products to start with, but don't want to buy stuff I don't need.
So I'm here to learn from you guys who've already been there and done that!

Y'all feel free to correct me, put me in my place, or just generally have fun at my expense, I don't get uptight easily, I'm just here to hopefully make some really cool friends and learn.:D

I LOVE this smiley, :tank:never seen it before! What's this one for?:fro:

Where are you from? You should post your location in your profile in case you have brewers nearby. Welcome to the addiction!

Welcome but be forewarned... there really isn't anything cheap about homebrewing once you get into it. There is ALWAYS something new/better to build or buy...

Where are you from? You should post your location in your profile in case you have brewers nearby. Welcome to the addiction!

Good advice, I will do that tonight!

To Rich, I'm very new to brewing so I'll have to throw some beer names atcha that I like rather than their descriptions. I don't know if it's ales or lagers that I like more... Anyhoo, in order, I'd say Blue moon (isn't this a wheat ale? with orange?), Dos Equis amber, Killians, Guiness Stout (but I have to be in the mood, mostly it's more bitter than I like ~ that means it's more hoppy than I'll probably brew?) I WISH I liked the cheaper stuff like bud and coors but I'd rather drink water.

Welcome to the forums!

I'll echo what others have said: don't get into homebrewing if you're just trying to save $$. First off, to get to the point where brewing is cheapest (all grain mashing with grains bought in bulk 55lb sacks) takes a not-so-modest investment in the right equipment. So you've gotta spend $$ to save $$. The beginner route typically starts with malt extracts---which require much less equipment---but malt extract is really expensive compared to bulk grains.

Not trying to discourage you, I just wanted to give you a head's up. This is an addiction, and you will find yourself always wanting more equipment, better stuff, more ingredients.

There's some good advice in here, Sweet T. Follow the link that TexLaw posted to get you started. Get going with extract brewing and see how you like it, then if you want to take the next step you can evaluate additional purchases. You can make very good beer from extract with a small investment in equipment.

If you're just looking for cheap hooch, this isn't the best of places to get advice for that.

Wayul, I wouldn't say I'm looking for cheap hooch HAHA that's funny, hooch,

anyway, I really like good beer, and I like the idea of being the chik that brings it to functions! I love to cook up stuff and I'm always in search of the ultimate hobby.

I have a feeling I'm starting a new addiction. Eeek, somebody stop me!

Hey, SweetT welcome! I'm pretty new at this too, but here's a rundown of my relatively cheap setup:

Starter Kit ($80): Comes with everything you need to get started, I personally got my kit at my local homebrew shop (LHBS), but Midwest sells a great one online here: Starter Kit.

Turkey Fryer Kit ($40): I knew right off the bat I wanted to do full boils to make my beer. I got this kit at Home Depot, and it has worked really well for me the past few months.

First Extract Recipe Kit: ($30-40): I did 3 extract recipes to get started, and I've loved every single one. Extract is easy, and you can do a full 5 gallon batch in about 2 hours once you get the hang of it.

Welcome to the greatest home brew forum on earth!!! :ban:

is always fun. Up here in Ma. I've found that a couple of the liquor stores that take bottles back for recycling are will to part with them at cost ($0.10/bottle). They'll need a bit more effort to clean, but it's SO worth it when the bottles in the store are running 10x that cost.

TwoHeads and Sidewinder, thanks for the info. I got sick and was MIA for awhile but I'm back! I'm just dying to get started, but alas, there's no home brew stores near me that I can find, so I'm slowly gathering the supplies. I'm getting there!

It's fun to have a new member with so much enthusiasm. I enjoy screwing up beer, maybe just to learn, or enjoy the result. It's really hard to screw it up, and the result is almost always better than commercial beer.

I was reading the list of beers you like - I predict that in 6 months you'll have a completely different list =)

Welcome aboard. If you want to keep your costs down, you can - if you're a REALLY dedicated penny pincher. However, this hobby (for most it's as much about the hobby as it is the beer) can be extremely addicting, and there's always one more thing you need (read want).

The equipment I used for my first few dozen all grain brews maybe cost $100. The more I brewed, the more I liked it, but the more things I wanted to make my brew day better/easier. See this thread to see what I mean. ;)

Back