Hi from Richmond, VA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My name is Justin Smith. I'm still very new to home brewing. I got a Mr. Beer for Christmas a couple of years ago, and that was fun for a while, but I'm ready to start brewing bigger and better. I really enjoy cooking and trying new ingredients and brewing my own beer lets me combine that with one of my other hobbies, good beer.

My favorite beer that I have "brewed" (and I put that in quotes because it was with Mr. Beer) was a California Pale Ale. I'm a huge fan of Oktoberfest beers, darker Lagers and Bocks. I'm really excited to have found such a wealth of info for a newbie such as myself to the craft.

I have also recently started a holiday that I think is long overdue: National Beer Day. I am planning a celebration this year in Richmond, VA and would love to help others do the same elsewhere in the US. There is actually historical significance to this holiday as well.

In 1933 during the prohibition era, the Cullen-Harrison Act was signed into law by President Franklin Roosevelt on March 23rd. That law was enacted on April 7th allowing the brewing and sale of beer in the United States again as long as it was <3.2 percent (4 percent ABV). It&#8217;s said that people waited in line overnight on April 6th outside Milwaukee breweries in order to legally buy beer for the first time in over 13 years. Henceforth April 7th will be known as National Beer Day and April 6th will be called New Beers Eve. So this April, tell all your friends about this glorious new holiday, and raise a glass, bottle, can, or mug to the deliciousness that is beer.

http://news.draftmag.com/2010/02/03/two-months-until-national-beer-day/

I hope to have this nationally recognized by this time next year. Please tell your friends about the new holiday that is long overdue.

Welcome to HBT!

And I may be wrong, but isn't everyday Beerday???

On a more serious note, I could definitely see the National Beer Day catch on.

Welcome, fellow Virginian! I will mark April 7 on my calendar as Beer Day. Thank you for the historical information.

Latest posts

Back