HG IPA - Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mfred44

Reaction score
I used a kit to make a clone Rogue Brutal IPA...but didn't look at the ingredients list too closely. So when it said, 'Add the rest of the fermentables..." I did...except that I didn't notice that it came with an EXTRA 3# of DME. Needless to say, my OG was 1.091. Having made a starter (w/stir plate) using RVA Pacman (already @ 200B cells)...I pitched the yeast and was, well, surprised when ALL fermentation ceased in about 5 days. I waited until day 7 to transfer to a secondary fermenter and dry hop the remaining hops. Not a single bubble in 7 additional days. The FG was 1.014 (yes, I checked my equipment)...10.3% ABV!! I bottled it this weekend.

Is this beer doomed? My plan is to condition it for 3 months. Would longer be better? This is only my 2nd 5 gallon batch (I botched the Bavarian Hefeweizen due to infection - probably poorly cleaned bottles).

Thanks for helping out this noob!

I don't know really! That's why I mentioned it and asked for feedback. For some reason I 'thought' (perhaps a bad idea) that the higher alcohol, highly hopped beer needed longer to develop its flavor.

It is entirely possible that I have misunderstood and that is why I was looking for some 'guidance'.

Thank you, though, your response is already making me question the reasoning.

Hop aroma and flavor diminish over time, so aging an ipa even if it is now higher alcohol then you wanted will effectively ruin it. Best off letting them condition till carbed and drink up! Though it may not be the most balanced beer I'm sure it'll be fine

"balanced beer" is just a marketing-type term. My 9.7% DIPA that I brewed 3.5 weeks ago is killer right now. 6# of hops per bbl. Yum. I "balanced" the bitterness with the hop flavor and aroma. Many people would taste that and tell me it is unbalanced. Unbalanced compared to what? Can you taste the malt? Nope. It is 1.005Fg and almost all base malt.

@Yooper runs around saying that a beer that is brewed well doesn't need time to fix the off flavors. I think that is true. Brew it right and drink it fresh. Some beers develop over time to someting magical. But those beers were probably also good fresh! They just change into a different animal. If you have some patience then you can enjoy both ends of the spectrum.

Thanks...your reply made me read some more and I get it. Let it carbonate, throw it in the frig...2 weeks or so... Drink up! And pay attention next time!

Back