Hey from San Diego

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tharlanjr

Reaction score
Figured I would throw up an intro real fast.

I found this site yesterday so I signed up for it.

My dad, brother and myself are going to start a little home brewing at my place.

We are looking at getting one of the starter kits from a local brewery supply shop.

Last week I knew nothing about the process, but after reading lots of posts I know quite a bit more.

Im looking forward to learning more and making some good brews.

The only thing we haven't decided is wither we should do bottles or kegs.

Probably start with bottles then move to kegs once we get a little more into it.

Thanks for an awesome site.

You want to run a couple batches first to see if you really want to pursue the hobby before thinking about kegs. It is another investment specially if you start thinking keezer, extra kegs, etc.

Oh and welcome... there are quite a few of us in the area.

Actually I started with that second kit... Homebrew Mart is a great LHBS!

I had the same debate you are having now and went bottles to start. My main reason, at the time, was that the keg kit didn't include everything I needed like the pot, steeping bag, etc.

Knowing what I know now I'm glad I did. I still use almost all of mine. I've outgrown the pot but it is still on the shelf in case I need it. I'm kegging now but will keep my bottles and bottling gear around for those batches that I want to stick in the closet and age. Oh and that benchtop capper beats the other styles of cappers hands down.

HBM is a great store for the most part, just don't buy the majority of your equipment there... SO expensive! Their keg/kegging gear prices are a flat out ripoff.

I would definitely do a couple of batches before diving into kegging to make sure this is the hobby for you. Even if your first beer comes out tasting awful, you'll know whether or not you're in love with brewing :)

GL with the starting up and let us know if you have any questions. Welcome to the forum!

PS I would say this kit is a much better deal: http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/product/0101897/gold-starter-kit Doesn't come with the bottles, a racking cane, a brew pot, or an ingredient kit, but those can all be had for far less than the $300 price tag from HBM.

You can get the following at BMW:
Gold Starter Kit $144.99
30" Curved Racking Cane 3/8" $2.49
BTF Iodophor - 4 oz $3.99
Muslin Hop/Grain Bag(2) $1.18
Plain Gold Crown Caps $2.99
Total: $155.64

The go to Smart&Final and pick up a 4-5 gal aluminium pot for something like $60 (no lid needed), hit up HBM for your bottles (the 22oz are $10/case) and get a recipe kit, and you're probably in under the $300 HBM kit price (and that's before tax). Then you've got two 6 gal fermenters instead of one, a FAR better pot (the ceramic coated ones aren't the best for brewing purposes long term).

Thats what I was leaning towards, but I liked the idea of force carbonation so we could drink faster, lol.

Plus like you said, the kit has everything I need and a better capper.

Glad to know someone else has a good experience with that kit. Hopefully I will be picking it up in a couple weeks.

Welcome to HBT. As said previously there are a lot of SD folks here. had a brewday with DDrayne about a month ago, was nice to have someone to BS with for 5 hours and see their process. I'm always up for a brewday with someone as long as my schedule permits. As far as getting kegs, if you do decide to go that route check out Keg Connection, they have the best prices on keg kits. I love going to Home Brew Mart for my ingredients and the odds and ends stuff like Hydrometers (I have broken 3) but the big ticket Items are just too pricey there for me. I still keg and bottle but started with bottling as probably all Home Brewers do, some enjoy the process and others (like myself) dont as its a pain in the ass when you are bottling once a week. But if you want to take some to work or something or give away you sort of need to.
I live in La Mesa, so if any of you want to get together for a brew day or just swap some beers to get opinions I would be all in.

HBM is a great store for the most part, just don't buy the majority of your equipment there... SO expensive! Their keg/kegging gear prices are a flat out ripoff.

I would definitely do a couple of batches before diving into kegging to make sure this is the hobby for you. Even if your first beer comes out tasting awful, you'll know whether or not you're in love with brewing :)

GL with the starting up and let us know if you have any questions. Welcome to the forum!

I completely agree with this quote. The starter kits are a decent price and are well worth the "walk in and hang out asking questions" added value. After that though I've done my big purchases online. I use them for the occasional stopper and for picking my ingredients and that is about it.

I do like going in there though for ingredients even if you can do better. I shoot the **** with whoever happens to be in there, grab some samples in the back, maybe fill a growler and grab what I need for the next couple batches. Worth the trip in my book.

Another one I found that I like the prices on (for the most part) is Beverage Factory. I found them on accident while looking for kegs and their price is decent plus there is no shipping and you order will call then just go pick it up.

A lot of it is shopping around though.

Welcome to the addiction! My wife bought me kit #3 for Christmas, I love it! I have since added to the kit... 2 more carboys, larger brew pot and other misc stuff. Plus building a keezer and getting into kegging. ADDICTION.

PS I would say this kit is a much better deal: http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/product/0101897/gold-starter-kit Doesn't come with the bottles, a racking cane, a brew pot, or an ingredient kit, but those can all be had for far less than the $300 price tag from HBM.

You can get the following at BMW:
Gold Starter Kit $144.99
30" Curved Racking Cane 3/8" $2.49
BTF Iodophor - 4 oz $3.99
Muslin Hop/Grain Bag(2) $1.18
Plain Gold Crown Caps $2.99
Total: $155.64

The go to Smart&Final and pick up a 4-5 gal aluminium pot for something like $60 (no lid needed), hit up HBM for your bottles (the 22oz are $10/case) and get a recipe kit, and you're probably in under the $300 HBM kit price (and that's before tax). Then you've got two 6 gal fermenters instead of one, a FAR better pot (the ceramic coated ones aren't the best for brewing purposes long term).

Wow, thanks for all the info. I never heard of that site so I wouldn't have found that deal.

I think I might go that route.

It would be cool to have a brewday once I get going or just to check out some of your setups.

I am going to the Homebrew mart to check it out and get a feel for it this weekend.

Thanks again for all the info, can't wait to get started.

I'm in College Area, and once I get my new setup built and my backyard done we can have brew days at my place for sure :) Fingers crossed it'll be all done by the end of Sept.

You are right up the street from me then. I'm down in Lemon Grove. Got a deck and grill ready for a get together... finishing up the keezer right now but I have a few more brew days before it will be full. :p

You are right up the street from me then. I'm down in Lemon Grove. Got a deck and grill ready for a get together... finishing up the keezer right now but I have a few more brew days before it will be full. :p

And I'm just down the street from you in Rancho San Diego, totally down for a group brew.

+1 on HBM's expensive equip prices, I talked to the manager at length about their prices on equip and even he acknowledged that the prices are fairly high. He said that they cater to mostly new brewers and the gotta have it now crowd as far as equip goes. I started the whole convo by asking why they charge 55+ for a corny :confused:

He also said that they were going to have an influx of cornies soon since their brewery is phasing out their commercial beer sales of cornies and switching to all sankes. I asked if that would cause them to lower prices and he said "probably not".

Hey,
Just wanted to do a quick update.

I ordered my brewing kit, ended up with the deluxe brewing kit from Northern Brewers.
Went with a simple American Wheat beer for the first batch.

One thing I wasn't sure of was the yeast, I went with the "Wyeast 1010 American Wheat" over the "Safale US-05 Ale Yeast"

Good Choice? Whats the difference?

Hopefully will have my brew day next weekend.

Hey,
Just wanted to do a quick update.

I ordered my brewing kit, ended up with the deluxe brewing kit from Northern Brewers.
Went with a simple American Wheat beer for the first batch.

One thing I wasn't sure of was the yeast, I went with the "Wyeast 1010 American Wheat" over the "Safale US-05 Ale Yeast"

Good Choice? Whats the difference?

Hopefully will have my brew day next weekend.

Either of those yeasts should be fine. I have had great results with Safale yeast. I use a lot of US-04 and have used US-05 as well. The nice thing with that yeast is the temperature difference for optimal fermentation, you get quite a bit of leeway.

Alot of people make starters every time they brew so they have plenty of yeast cells. I don't, unless its a high gravity beer (over 70). So I guess it depends on your gravity. If you want to make yeast starter go ahead, if not I'm sure it will be fine pitching the dry yeast and giving your carboy a good shake to aerate.

The first batch is just a simple american wheat so I will just dry pitch it.

After I get more first hand experience I will mess around with different techniques.

Thanks for the info.

I got my tracking # tonight so I should have all my stuff on the 21st!!!

Hey everybody!

I too just got into the hobby of making fantastic brewing creations, and thus far through the fermenting stage I love it! It's truly addicting watching the 'magic' happen.

I currently reside in the college area at SDSU and would love any tips one might be able to offer regarding ease of use between kegging / bottling. I was fortunate enough to be given a top-notch setup to get started (including 2x 6 1/2 gal carboys, 2 corn. kegs, 2 5 lb. C02 tanks, 5 gal brew pot, filtration system, PSI gauge, hydrometer and thermometer, as well as other various odds and ends).

3 questions regarding my first process are concerning me:
1) I used a copper heat diffuser (not sure on the exact terminology)...anyway, I basically dropped it in my wort and ran cool water through it to speed the process along....and through research I understand that beer is susceptible to infection during this process...after it was cooled to ~82 degrees I added it to my primary fermentor and pitched the yeast at 79 degrees (American Pale Ale...). Will the use of the copper throw off my beer (even though copper naturally destroys bacteria)??

2) What are some tips you guys / gals might have on your sterilization processes? I used an iodine solution I picked up from HBM. I followed the directions on the bottle and advice of the guy at HBM (pour into primary ferm. with water and pour into the sink to clean all other devices and instruments)....any other suggestions would be great!

3) I have all the necessary equipment to filter / keg my beer. My question is what are the proper steps on properly carbing / cooling my beer so I can get the best possible experience? Any ideas / tips regarding your processes would be greatly appreciated!

Kyle
BHBC

From what I have read...

Hey everybody!

I too just got into the hobby of making fantastic brewing creations, and thus far through the fermenting stage I love it! It's truly addicting watching the 'magic' happen.

I currently reside in the college area at SDSU and would love any tips one might be able to offer regarding ease of use between kegging / bottling. I was fortunate enough to be given a top-notch setup to get started (including 2x 6 1/2 gal carboys, 2 corn. kegs, 2 5 lb. C02 tanks, 5 gal brew pot, filtration system, PSI gauge, hydrometer and thermometer, as well as other various odds and ends).

1) I used a copper heat diffuser (not sure on the exact terminology)...anyway, I basically dropped it in my wort and ran cool water through it to speed the process along....and through research I understand that beer is susceptible to infection during this process...after it was cooled to ~82 degrees I added it to my primary fermentor and pitched the yeast at 79 degrees (American Pale Ale...). Will the use of the copper throw off my beer (even though copper naturally destroys bacteria)??

The copper immersion chillers are great for chilling the wort. Drop it in during the last couple minutes of the boil and it will sanitize the outside to prevent infection. Lots of people use this method

2) What are some tips you guys / gals might have on your sterilization processes? I used an iodine solution I picked up from HBM. I followed the directions on the bottle and advice of the guy at HBM (pour into primary ferm. with water and pour into the sink to clean all other devices and instruments)....any other suggestions would be great!

I have heard good things about star san, its a no rinse sanitizer so you let it soak for 2 min then drain the water out. "Don't fear the foam"
There is a thread that breaks down the different sanitizer's.
This thread will tell you the Pro's VS the Cons off different things including sanitizer's.

3) I have all the necessary equipment to filter / keg my beer. My question is what are the proper steps on properly carbing / cooling my beer so I can get the best possible experience? Any ideas / tips regarding your processes would be greatly appreciated!

A lot of people start off bottling first then move to kegging. I look on youtube a lot for different video's on processes. You can also read THIS book...

Kyle
BHBC

Good luck to ya!

Hey everybody!

Kyle
BHBC

1. Wort chillers are fine. Use it. Love it.
2. You're using iodophor to sanitize your stuff. Totally acceptable and good and all that.
3. Carbonation can be set on a keg by adding the proper pressure to the keg for the temperature you have your refrigerator set to. http://brewery.org/library/CO2charts.html

That's the chart. Typical carbonation is 2.2-2.8 volumes, depending on the style.

I don't filter and I don't see the need, so you might want to skip that step for now or find a good guide on filtering. I really think it is an extra step that isn't necessary though.

Also, you pitched your yeast at too high of a temperature. Pitching around fermentation temperature is best (66-68 degrees) and a lot of people pitch cooler and let it rise up.

Oh, and welcome to the both of you. The San Diego contingent is strong on here. I just finished up an oatmeal stout about 20 minutes ago. If either of you need anything, feel free to ask!

Great burner thought, you'll be happy :) Just make sure you slowly open the valve when you want to light it up. I have found that opening the valve to quickly will prevent anything from flowing. I assume the valve freezes up inside?

The burner is MASSIVE, I wasn't expecting it.

I figure with this combo I won't have a problem doing a 5gal full boil.

First batch is in the primary!!!

We were kind of unorganized, but it went pretty smooth otherwise.

Now its time to RDWHAHB...

Back