Hey from NJ!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everybody!
My name is Tom. I'm a recent college grad (TCNJ) and current Fixed Income Analyst for a small econ reserach shop. I've been a fan of US micros and a myriad of German and Belgian beers for a while now and I've decided that I want to try my hand at the craft. I have no equipment yet, but I do have Papazian's book on a UPS truck heading my way in a few hours. I'd love to try and learn as much as I can here so I'll be reading a lot while posting very little, but as time goes on and I figure this whole brewing thing out, I hope to have some more to contribute. Looks like a cool site here, guys!:)

Welcome to the forum! Where abouts in NJ are ya? I'm about an hour and a half north of Tony Soprano's house.

Cheers

I'm fixin to brew another batch within the next week or so and I'm located in Central NJ near Rutgers in New Brunswick if you wanted to see the process first hand. Of course, I'm still pretty new at it but I've had success so far.

Bobby_M said:
I'm fixin to brew another batch within the next week or so and I'm located in Central NJ near Rutgers in New Brunswick if you wanted to see the process first hand. Of course, I'm still pretty new at it but I've had success so far.
I love the grease trucks in that parking lot on Fraternity Row. Fat Cat all the way!
I used to live in Hillsborough which is about a 20 min drive from there on the other side of Franklin.

I'm down in Ewing, outside of Trenton. After graduation I moved into a crappy house that's less than a mile from TCNJ. The office I work in is off of 206 North of Princeton.

Are there any good Homebrew Shops in Central NJ? Where do you guys get your stuff?

pnutbutrsangwich said:
I'm down in Ewing, outside of Trenton. After graduation I moved into a crappy house that's less than a mile from TCNJ. The office I work in is off of 206 North of Princeton.

Are there any good Homebrew Shops in Central NJ? Where do you guys get your stuff?
Been through Ewing many times.

What's TCNJ - Trenton College of NJ? I went to Trenton State back in the mid '80s after graduating from Burlington CC...I used to work at Ft. Dix (I am a Jerseyite also).:D

Trenton State changed its name to The College of New Jersey in 1996. It angered a lot of alumni and made even more people confused as to why they included "The" in the acronym.

From what I've heard, there's a brew shop down in Princeton. Other than that, there's the Brewer's Apprentice in Freehold off RT9 and also one in South Orange associated with the Gaslight brewery.

I've only been to Brewer's Apprentice, other than that I've mail ordered everything.

PS: I actually live on in Piscataway on the other side of the Raritan River about 1/2 mile from Rutgers football stadium but I say New Brunswick because most people recognize it more readily.

Bobby_M said:
...I actually live on in Piscataway on the other side of the Raritan River about 1/2 mile from Rutgers football stadium but I say New Brunswick because most people recognize it more readily.
Gaelone lives around that neighborhood. Ask him where he gets his supplies.

I'm currently scheduled to be in Dover/Picatinny in Feb. Want to get together with Gaelone and have a few brews?:mug:

Sounds good to me. Hoepfully by then I'll have something that is drinkable!

Thanks for the ref. I'll PM him and see if I can pick his brain a little.

Can you blame them for changing the name of the school? Kind of hard to attract students when it's named after a craphole like Trenton.
I've been through Ewing alot. My dad works at Princeton University, I worked there for a few summers in college. We used to live in Plainsboro before moving to Hillsborough.

Howdy! Missed your welcome and ran across one of your posts elsewhere. I recognize your username from CP. I'm a newbie there....my username is SammyP. Funny how many homebrewers are into cigars, and vice/versa.

Anyway, welcome! You've found the friendliest homebrewing forum there is.

:mug:

Hey and welcome. The HBS associated with Gaslight seems to be a "sit down and have a beer while the owner gets you what you want"...a brick and morter store, but not a store you walk around. Odd. It's not well known, so I don't get my ingredients there 'cause I don't know how fresh they are.

I'm in north jersey near morristown. I'll PM you back shortly. Great idea though.

I was born, raised and lived in Ewing, up until last summer. I don't recall any HBS in Mercer since the one in Hamilton (it was in a frame store across from Bill's Olde Tavern) closed. I live in Nashville TN now and luckily there is a store very near where I live. You may need to rely on mail order. I have had great success with Midwest, unless there is one in Princeton now.

Hi. I'm from lumberton NJ. I'm pretty much a noob at this i'm only on my second batch. There's a Home brew store at the Columbus Mart on Rt 206. They don't have a lot of stuff so I shop mostly online. it's called Rubino's Homemade Wine and Beer Supply. My wife graduated from Trenton State also. See ya around.

herkojerko said:
Hi. I'm from lumberton NJ. I'm pretty much a noob at this i'm only on my second batch. There's a Home brew store at the Columbus Mart on Rt 206. They don't have a lot of stuff so I shop mostly online. it's called Rubino's Homemade Wine and Beer Supply. My wife graduated from Trenton State also. See ya around.
I've been to CO Mart many times. I used to work at Ft Dix and lived in Browns Mills and Mt Holly.

Hello NJ Brewers from Rubino's! I happened to stumble accross this old thread from 2006. We ventured into the Homebrew Business back in June of 2005 originally supporting only Wine making ingredients, kits and supplies. We were very small. In 2006 we started carrying some starter beer kits. We really did not carry much for the advanced brewer. We have been doing pretty good year over year. From 2005 to 2006 we increased our sales by 20%. From 2006 to 2007 by 50% so, we expanded and started to find out real quick that there were alot of brewers out there. 2007 to 2008 we grew by 70%. I am still out of room for what I really want to do. But, we have alot of stock now but have been depending on the True Brew and Brewers Best ingredient kits during the tough time with the HOP Shortage. We do supply alot more now and we welcome your feedback and will stock what you want. We have a Mill onsite and we take special orders and deliver to the store for local homebrewers for bulk requests when we bring in our regular orders and don't charge for the shipping when we have a store order coming in. The only time we charge for shipping is when we don't have an order coming in. I have some 55lb bags of Malt (Lager) and possibley some Maris Otter available and we are going to blow them out this week between Thursday and Sunday for $40 bucks a pop. Well, I thought I would say hello and introduce myself. I recognize some of you out there. I do know Bill and I think I may also know the fellow from Rutgers also. Well, take care everyone and let me know if you need anything! Cheers, Tom :mug:

Back