HERMS Resources

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hauger

Reaction score
I've been all-grain brewing for a year now and doing pretty well with it, turning out some decent brews that have been happily drank by family and friends (except my father-in-law, he's a Coor's Light man). So far, I've used an aluminium turkey fryer and a cooler as a mash tun. It's worked well and has been a great way to learn, but its time to start planning on upgrading.

I've been reading as much as I can on HERMS & RIMS and think I've settled on HERMS. I've spent significant time reading and looking at others builds to try and learn. So far, I've put together the basics of the theory on how HERMS works and a rough idea of what I need.

Here's the thing, it seems to me every time someone builds a system, they do it their way, basically re-inventing the wheel (or HERMS) as it were. I have to believe there's plans and parts lists somewhere, if anyone has such a thing. I don't want to re-invent the wheel because, honestly, I doubt I can amateur-engineer anything better than what someone else has already designed.

Please, are there plans available anywhere. Even better, is there schematics detailing the flow of liquid through the system during different phases? Likewise, schematics that detail where to place temp probes and whatnot?

Thanks for helping the newbie.

this article I found on brewersfriend, through explaining what the system actually entails, kind of gives you a parts list. I think when I am ready to go to the HERMS level in the future, I will go with a Blichmann tower of power. Just the control tower itself with pump and 1 or 2 controllers. When i looked at the tower of power set-up I doubted I would want the whole tower with shelves and everything which is pretty expensive compared to a simple, second hand, industrial SS-frame modular shelving unit. (can take quite some weight and is super easy to mount things on thanks to all the mounting holes put in it to make it modular.) But the control center of the system looks pretty durable, comprehensive and easy to adapt for use in other set-ups.

here is the article from brewersfriend I was talking about:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/02/22/introduction-to-rims-and-herms/

Back