HERMS Coil question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddknight

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking of changing my current system around a little and try to use some of the soft copper coil I have laying around. I was wondering if there is any suggestions on how long a typical HERMS coil should be. I had read a few posts that stated 25' and some that said it could be as little as 15' so I wanted to check before getting started. Any input appreciated!

I know 25' works well, I have done it. It COULD be shorter, but you cannot really quantify it... it is all about how fast you pump.

If you pump slow, the shorter the coil can be, the faster you pump, the longer it needs to be. Basically you need to make sure you have TIME for the wort to pick up the heat from the HEX during the pass through the coil. Longer coil = more time, shorter coil = less time.

Makes sense when talking about the length. I think I have enough to do at least 25' so maybe I'll stick with that to be safe and have no restriction on the pump. Thanks!

my coil was no more than 10' and 1/2" soft copper. worked great, when i had it, but it can also depend on how hot the water in the HLT is. But i have learned since that if you take that wort above the temp you are trying to achieve, it will denature the enzymes anyway so you get less conversion. That is the problem with adding grains to the mash tun hotter than desired mash temp. Its best to dough in colder and heat up to mash temp.

But i have learned since that if you take that wort above the temp you are trying to achieve, it will denature the enzymes anyway so you get less conversion.

That isn't really true. The amylase enzymes are not denatured until the boil. I've been HERMSing for over 8 years, always start with the HLT set at 190, and never had any conversion problems.

The greater the difference between the HL and Mash temp, the higher the delta T across the HEX coil will be, which in turn shortend your ramp times. This is a good thing.

But back to the original question, flow rate is important, so if you have a choice, a shorter coil of larger diameter is better than a longer coil of smaller diameter. I would not use anything smaller than 1/2" OD, and 5/8" is MUCH better.

I'm thinking of changing my current system around a little and try to use some of the soft copper coil I have laying around. I was wondering if there is any suggestions on how long a typical HERMS coil should be. I had read a few posts that stated 25' and some that said it could be as little as 15' so I wanted to check before getting started. Any input appreciated!

For my system I used 20ft of 1/2" soft copper. It does a great heat transfer job!

HLT_HERMS_Coil.jpg

Thanks for the pic lanvp. Looking at the picture, though, what is the tube going down the side on the left?

The tube going down is my water feed. On the bottom is my pickup tube and a thermowell.

Decided to do bottom feed because, less splatter and better mixing if I needed replenishing.

The tube going down is my water feed. On the bottom is my pickup tube and a thermowell.

Decided to do bottom feed because, less splatter and better mixing if I needed replenishing.

Good idea! Of course, you could bottom feed through the drain valve... Do you have your feed water always connected?

Good idea! Of course, you could bottom feed through the drain valve... Do you have your feed water always connected?

You are absolutely right. In my case, I had limited space...

HLT_Drain_Valve_Config.jpg

For the feed water connection, yes it is always connected. I ran a line from the incoming filter to a quick disconnect on the tank. Less clutter and easier brew day.

Did I mention that I am very lazy :D!!!

Thanks for the tips and design ideas! Gonna try and set things up tomorrow! lanvp - looks like you're ready to brew a nice red pepper lager! Nice brew setup and great looking pepper rows.

Thanks for the tips and design ideas! Gonna try and set things up tomorrow! lanvp - looks like you're ready to brew a nice red pepper lager! Nice brew setup and great looking pepper rows.

Thanks!

Now, a red pepper lager, interesting...

I need to do my research :drunk:

I've had a couple pepper beers now. I liked the lager one I tried a little better I think but it's something to maybe try with all that pepper stock you have!

One other question on your setup too - which direction do you run the wort from the mash? Do you have it enter the MLT at the top or at the bottom of the coil?

I'm ready to try this thing out in a couple days I think!

Back