Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nwa-brewing

Reaction score
Soooooo I picked up honey from a local provider... And come to find out his bottles were mislabeled... So a 1 gallon batch I used 6 pounds of honey...

It's been fermenting along, should I just move it over to my 2.5 gallon carboy and top off with distilled water?

No sir you should not. I would let her ride and you might have yourself a fine mead/beer hybrid. Sounds amazing. Post recipe for all of us to dictate. ;)

It's just summer Clover honey and water lol. You don't think 6 pounds would make it to sweet? It's still fermenting but probably need to rack it... Been bubbling for 3 weeks

ForumRunner_20131122_193401.jpg

ForumRunner_20131122_193415.jpg

Sorry for the sideways post

Was it like half honey, half water? Did you take an OG reading? That would be my concern, that the too-high gravity would mean it won't ferment much.

Was it like half honey, half water? Did you take an OG reading? That would be my concern, that the too-high gravity would mean it won't ferment much.

It did basically come out half water half honey... I thought I was only adding 3 pounds :(

This is week 3-4 and it's still actively bubbling so I don't think it really hurt the fermentation

If it starts out at 1.2xx OG, then you are gonna have a hard time getting something drinkable. You may get lucky and get some good alcohol production but you may also have it peter out with 100 gravity points left too.

Well if it is half water and half honey, just double it, and then keep the reserved bit in a couple of 2 litre pop/soda bottles in the fridge.

Ferment the rest. Once it's finished, rack the finished stuff off the lees and then get the other stuff out the fridge, let it come to room temp and then pour it into the lees, a good stir and maybe a touch more nutrient and bingo, it should ferment......

Well if it is half water and half honey, just double it, and then keep the reserved bit in a couple of 2 litre pop/soda bottles in the fridge.

Ferment the rest. Once it's finished, rack the finished stuff off the lees and then get the other stuff out the fridge, let it come to room temp and then pour it into the lees, a good stir and maybe a touch more nutrient and bingo, it should ferment......

Not quite following... If I double it and make two gallons, I wouldn't have anything left to fill a two liter bottle?

Not quite following... If I double it and make two gallons, I wouldn't have anything left to fill a two liter bottle?
I was presuming only one carboy/jug and by doubling the batch/recipe you'd need something to keep the extra litres in. And a US gallon is close enough to 4 litres to be of no consequence a.k.a. 2 bottles.......

I was presuming only one carboy/jug and by doubling the batch/recipe you'd need something to keep the extra litres in. And a US gallon is close enough to 4 litres to be of no consequence a.k.a. 2 bottles.......

Ah gotcha :)

Nope got an extra 2.5 gallon carboy empty will just move over top off and maybe add a little extra honey to accommodate for the extra half gallon

Back