Help with Wit Recipe - N00b

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glanville

Reaction score
Hey I am trying out my first partial mash recipe this weekend. Hoping to get some advice on this recipe.

I'm trying a Belgian Wit that is loosely based on Unibrow's Hoemmaade Hoegaarden (thanks Unibrow) - aiming to get slightly more bitterness, and more honey overtones in the flavor profile.

I plugged it all into Beersmith:

4lb Pale Malt 2Row US
3lb Wheat Dry Extract
8oz Honey Malt
4oz White Wheat Malt
4oz Biscuit Malt
4oz Flaked Oats
4oz Flaked Wheat

1oz Czech Saaz @ 60min
.5oz Hallertauer @ 60min
.5oz Hallertauer @ 30min

Late Add - an additional .5 lb Wheat DME @ 15 min

1/4 tsp powdered coriander @ 10min
5-6 crushed cloves @ 10min
Citrus Zest blend (50%orange/50%lemon) @ 10min

now, Beersmith is giving me these numbers:
OG 1.56
IBUs 29.3
Color 7.6
ABV 5.5%

My IBUs are off the chart for a Wit.... do I trust these numbers? Should I cut the hops? (I have 2 oz Hallertau, 1 oz Saaz, and 1/2 oz Cascade on hand) I believe that I want to be around 5.5% ABV and 19-20 IBUs. I have not idea what kind of efficiency to expect as I've only ever used extract/steep kit recipes in the past. The color also seems kind of dark...

For my Mash details, I'm set for BIAB 60 minutes at 160 and 10 minutes at 170... i'm not sure if this is the right setting for me. I plan to follow DeathBrewer's partial instructions...

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks

Yes, your IBUs are high for a Belgian wit. Drop down your 60 min addition and you will be fine (stick with saaz and hallertauer, don't use cascade). The hops in a belgian wit should provide just a little bit of spice and not cover up any of the flavors from the yeast and your spice additions. Your color is high for the style. I suppose it's from the honey malt and biscuit malt. A belgian wit should finish dry, so I'm not sure adding honey malt is a good thing??? The yeast should provide some sweetness up front and then a dry finish and I'd be concerned the honey malt may lead to a sweeter finish. You could try adding actual honey in the last few minutes of the boil you will not get a strong honey flavor, but it should be just noticeable if none of the other flavors are too strong. As far as the mash goes, you'll want to mash for 60 minutes between 150F and 154F. Higher mash temps will lead to more body, which is not what you want in this style. Then mashout at 170F for 10 minutes. Good luck!

Edit: The mash temp for 60 minutes is the temp after the grains have been added. So the strike water temp probably should be around 160F.

I second everything said in the above post. I would if it were me scrap the idea of adding cloves. If you want some clove taste run the temp of the primary low, say the low 60's for a Belgium yeast such as wlp400.

Cool, thanks for the advice!

I think I'll nix the Honey malt and increase the White Wheat

4lbs Pale Malt 2 Row US
12oz White Wheat Malt
4oz Biscuit Malt
4oz Flaked Oats
4oz Flaked Wheat
3lbs Wheat Dry Extract

.5oz Hallertauer @ 60min
.5oz Hallertauer @ 30min
.5oz Czech Saaz @ 30 min

at 15 min:
.5 lbs DME Wheat, late add
1/4 tablespoon ground coriander
Cloves... not sure, i might take them out as well
Zest

puts me at:
OG 1.057
IBUs 19.8
Color 6.2
ABV 5.5%

I think it should be pretty good. Brew day is Saturday, I can't wait!

Your color is really dark for the style. Doesn't seen like a big deal but I think it suggests some other issues. The color range for the style is 2-4 SRM. This is really a result of the ingredients. Traditionally the beer only has Pale malt and Unmalted Wheat. The idea with this type of beer is that most of your flavor comes from the yeast and spices. If I were you, I would remove the specialty malts altogether. Unlike the other posters, I like the idea of adding cloves but would caution you to add far less than you think you need, those things are powerful.

You didn't mention the yeast but I'm assuming you are using something traditional like WLP400. If your using something else, you'll need to compensate for the lack of tartness that beer provides which, I believe, is key to achieving that refreshing finish.

Personally, I feel your IBU'S are a little high, even though they're in style, but then again you're OG is high too. I usually only single hop my wit at 60 min but I think your 30 min additions are appropriate for this beer if the IBU's don't get away from you. However, if you're going for a hoppy wit the. 20 IBUs might work.

I haven't had Unibrou's version but that's just my 2 cents. This beer has been my white whale. I have made countless versions and read far too much about witbier. They are deceptively difficult beers to perfect in my opinion.

Back