Help with Weiss FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siduri Breweries

Reaction score
Good day All, please help. I am totally new to this. I started my first ever brew a week and a half ago (a Weiss). Today, after nine and a half days of fermentation the FG is 1 004. I did not take an OG, sorry my mistake, I didn't know that I had to. What does the 1 004 mean? Does it mean that fermentation is still busy, or does it mean that it is finished? What should I expect when I take another reading tomorrow? Will it have risen or dropped or remain the same? Thanks for answering.

1.004 is close to/already done. Water had a gravity of 1.000. Alcohol is less dense than water. Your next reading should be the same if it’s done fermenting or lower if it isn’t. At 1.004 you’re most likely done.

Today, after nine and a half days of fermentation the FG is 1 004.
Ales ferment fairly quickly so that in many cases they will be at final gravity in a week or slightly less. Most of my ales will have a final gravity of 1.012 to 1.017 so your 1.004 is lower than mine which can be from a different mix of grains. Check the gravity in a couple days and if it hasn't changed you are at final gravity and can bottle or keg the beer.

Back