Help with Cucumber Mint Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damiongrimm

Reaction score
I am throwing together something for the rapidly approaching summertime and would like some help with the recipe. I am putting together a cucumber mint saison. the main thing I need help with is how to add the mint with the best result. here is the recipe:

5gal batch
OG:1.045
FG:1.007
5% ABV
16.96 IBU

WLP590 French Saison Yeast
6.5lb Pilsen DME
.5lb carapils
.5oz Saaz (possibly summer or mosaic, still deciding that) @60
.5oz of whichever hop is decided upon @5
1 whirlfloc @10
3tsp nutrient @10
cucumber, juiced with campden added, into secondary during rack (amount tbd)(1 week total)
mint into secondary (amount tbd)(1 week total)

My big question here is
A)how much cucumber will be enough to stand out and be refreshing, but not to overpower,
and B)what will be the best way to add the mint? my 3 options that seem to make the most sense are putting fresh mint leaves into vodka to make a tincture, buying mint extract, or just using mint tea bags.

I have a lemon basil pale ale on tap right now and used 3oz of fresh basil. Big kick of basil aroma and a refreshing flavor. Used the stems and all, just chopped it up into a santized paint strainer bag and "dry-basiled" for 3 days at room temp. Mint may overpower the cucumber, so maybe use less.

Not sure about the best way to add the cucumber, but sounds like a great idea!

Ooo lemon basil pale sounds wonderful! Good to know though, That’s a solid idea 👌🏻

I don't have the answers to your questions, but the folks at Scratch Brewing use mint (and basil), and suggest there are many ways to use it. Added to the boil, in a tincture, etc. If this sort of thing interests you, I suggest you check out The Homebrewers Almanac, the book they at Scratch published. Lots of "weird" ideas there. This weekend I'm brewing an elder flower wit.

How’d it turn out? My garden is going crazy with cukes and Cucumber Saison immediately came to mind.

It actually turned out amazing! I think I will forego the mint next time and just have cucumber, and it unfortunately oxidized a bit (my own fault, equipment issue) but all the inherent flavors are there and the cucumber is a VERY refreshing flavor. I’ll be converting it to all grain soon and trying again without question!

Awesome. I’m thinking that’ll be my next saison batch. How much cucumber did you add, and how did you prepare it?

I used 2 full cucumbers, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch slices, and frozen overnight.

Never thought about freezing them. That would lyse their cells and allow for better flavor extraction. Nicely done!

Hello Damian,
I used 2 peeled cucs for a 5 gallon batch, in a cream ale. Sliced thinly into a bowl of star-san. inverted a bowl into a muslin bag, then into the beer. (Thats in a corny after fermentation and chilled.) Plenty of flavor after 48 hours. The mint I would do a vodka tincture and add to taste after the cucumber. Treat the mint addition carefully, kind of like salt: too much and its ruined.

I just picked a bag of mint that was growing at my moms wild and have it drying in my hop oast now.
was wondering if I could use it in a beer and I think this will be on my list on beers for next summer.

Back