Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings!

So I added 1-#10 can of Vintner's Harvest ApricotFruit Wine Base to 5 gallons of saison. I am trying to figure out how much alcohol this is going to add once it ferments out. The can is listed at approximately 1.0237 (6 Brix). My measurement of the liquid in the can showed it at 1.020, but that doesn't take into account any fermentable sugars in the fruit itself. I have been all over the calculators and can't get an easy answer to my question, so help please.

The saison started at 1.051 and fermented out to 1.003 prior to adding the fruit. It has low IBU-15.51, because I used my fresh hop harvest to make it (Old Mission, Shaddock, Centennial). The saison was fermented with dregs from Dupont and Allagash bottles. It had a light pellicle before moving it onto the fruit and was starting to acquire some lemony flavors.

To figure out the potential alcohol, do I:

1. Divide the fruit OG by 5, since I add it to a 5 gallon batch? (adding approximately 1.006 to 1.051=1.057)
2. Divide the fruit OG by 6 (it's about 6 total gallons now), since I added it to a 5 gallon batch? (adding approximately 1.005 to 1.051=1.056)
3. Do I just add the full amount to my original OG? (adding 1.0237 to OG of entire batch to 1.051=1.0747)

Thank you!

Reevesie

Edit: it's about 7# of fruit base. I added 7# of Apricots to my recipe in Brewer's Friend and it bumped the OG to 1.056. Does this make sense?

Last edited:
Back