Help with chilling Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PalmyDan

Reaction score
Just made the step to all grain brewing and of course found out all the little problems as I went through my first brew. Can navigate my way through most issues, but the one that is getting me is chilling the wort. Have a copper coil wort chiller, which brings the temperature down to around 31oC but it takes forever to get down to pitching temperature (21oC for an ale yeast). I can't logistically do ice cause I have no where to store it and nothing big enough to stick my boil kettle in. Any suggestions on cooling without ice? Otherwise, is it okay to wait like 3 hours for it to come down to pitching temp. Any suggestions welcome. Otherwise I suppose I could go and buy something big enough to put my boil kettle in with ice in it (a baby bath?) and go buy the ice while the wort chiller is doing its thing.... Mmmm

I started using a no-chill cube a couple of months ago and love it. It cuts about half the brew day off, and just requires a 5.5 gallon collapsible water jug. Leave it in the kegerator or on the counter and pitch the next day.

Thanks for that. That looks like the answer. I had to look up what a no chill cube was, but it all makes perfect sense. With my space limitations, this looks the best way to address this for me. Thanks

Back