Help with a roeselare fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wes200x

Reaction score
Okay so I made a replica of the Bruery Tart Of Darkness from morebeer I mash at 157 to leave some complex sugars for the bret and pitched the roeselare at 65F and let it free rise to 68F during primary. Once the primary was dying down after a week and a half I let the temp rise to mid 70's to let the bret take over.
SO the ? The primary yeast stopped at 1.035 after 2 weeks in the mid 70's it has only fallen to 1.030. The starting gravity was 1.076. Should I have pitched 2 bags. I know you are not supposed to make a starter with it. Do you think the brett will take it down to final gravity before the bacteria drop the ph enough to kill the brett. Or should i add more brett to build the cell count to give it more of a chance.

Just leave it alone for 11 more months, the Brett will take care of you

It probably stopped there, or rather slowed there, because of the high mash temp. Over time the 2 Brett strains, the Pedio and the Lacto will eat that down drier than your grandma's hooha.

The reason I asked was I have never used a mixed culture. I usually mash at 158-159 use a belgian yeast most of the time abbey ale yeast wich on my last sour had gravity down 1.017 in 5 days then i cold crash to get it of most of the ale yeast let it come back up to temp and pitch 1 or 2 strains of brett let that go for upwards of 10 weeks then pitch bacteria culture. When I do 100% Brett beers I usually pich high ale to lager pitching rates so I didn't think it would have high enough cell count to finsh at this high of a gravity. Butt I over think alot so it might just be me.

Latest posts

Back