Help - wet grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baldric

Reaction score
I've been living in a high humidity environment the past month or so and when I went to mill the grain (in this case it was Canadian six-row malt) it was too damp to mill properly.

Is this grain toast or do I have a hope of reducing the moisture content of it somehow? After 24 hours in a dehumidified room it seems to be improving, but should I keep this up or just toss it in favour of a new batch of grain?

Any thoughts?

I have read about people adding moisture to the grains to reduce dust. In my opinion, use them and see how your gravity looks.

I understand malt conditioning. Apparently Sierra Nevada has been doing it for some time.
Problem is that the moisture content of the starchy part of the grain is high also so it's sticking to the mill and mot breaking apart properly. I'm getting a flattened kernel as a result.

toss the grains in the fridge, i do that until a day or so before brew day. Also keeps the wevels dormant...don't need too much protein in the beer.

Latest posts

Back