Help the noob! (please :) )

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShizuokaBrad

Reaction score
Alright, so I'm gathering together everything I think I need to make my first mead and melomel. The only problem I have is that where I live there are no LHBS (at all). I can only order my supplies online and it takes as long as a week for them to arrive. As you can imagine, it's a major PITA if I forget something small that might derail my brew. So, what do I absolutely need to make everything go smoothly? I've already got fermentors, airlocks, etc (basically everything related to brewing beer)... but aside from that I'm at a bit of a loss at what I need. Please help!

:mug:

Alright, so I'm gathering together everything I think I need to make my first mead and melomel. The only problem I have is that where I live there are no LHBS (at all). I can only order my supplies online and it takes as long as a week for them to arrive. As you can imagine, it's a major PITA if I forget something small that might derail my brew. So, what do I absolutely need to make everything go smoothly? I've already got fermentors, airlocks, etc (basically everything related to brewing beer)... but aside from that I'm at a bit of a loss at what I need. Please help!

:mug:
A bit difficult really.........

All you really need is a fermenter, airlock and ingredients......

A stirring paddle ? not really. a kitchen spoon is fine as long as you can sanitise it.

Sanitiser ? If you have a hand spray bottle and campden tablets, then you can just use 5 crushed campden tablets and a teaspoon of citric acid (or the juice of half a lemon) mixed up in a pint of water. That goes in the spray and just wash and rinse everything, then spray it with the home made sanitiser. 3 or 4 minutes contact time and then just shake off any excess liquid.

See what I mean ? Hard to do really......

Ok, a melomel. Got the honey, water and fruit ?

Unless you know what kind of mel' you're making, are you gonna use whole fruit ? or juice ?

Whole fruit is fine, you can just freeze it then thaw it, you don't need to process it any more than that.

Just that you may need an appropriate sized bucket to ferment in, rather than a carboy for primary. Fruit based mixes are well known for eruptions in the early stages of ferment and are easier to manage in buckets.

Have you got nutrient and energiser ?

Etc etc........

If you're gonna be doing a whole fruit mix, maybe some sort of straining bag to keep the fruit together and make it easier to remove the fruit debris after the ferment.

Or maybe you need to work out whether you're gonna put the fruit all in primary or some in primary then the rest in secondary etc etc etc......

I just started my first mead on Monday and I still have my shopping list with everything I bought and I haven't needed anything else thus far.

Carboy, Drilled Stopper, Air lock, Fermenting Bucket, Grommeted fermenting bucket lid, Auto Siphon, 6 feet of tubing, Mesh bag (for fruit if you're doing a melomel), Hydrometer, Test Jar for hydrometer, Carboy brush, 8" funnel, Thermometer, Spring Tip Bottle Filler, Bottle Caps and capper (or corks, whatever you'll be using), Easy Clean, Star San, Campden Tablets, Nutriferm yeast energy, Diammonium Phosphate, and then the honey and fruit.

Obviously you probably don't need all of that, and some things like the bottling stuff won't need to be bought right away, this is just my list I used. Hope that helps!

If you guys would post where you are at there might be a member close by whose has too much stuff (OK never enough stuff but maybe some extra to share).

pectinase
metabisulfite
bottles andcorks and something to fill them with
labels if you get that far :):)
Some fining agents when you cant wait for it to clear anymore
a plan for your next mead so you dont have an empty carboy setting around, looking sad and empty, you will learn not to let that happen soon enough

good luck

WVMJ

Thanks for the advice! I'm in Shizuoka, Japan. A somewhat rural area (city of 250,000) near Mt. Fuji. I've met a few home brewers but nobody making mead. Fingers crossed it'll all work out! I'm going to get my order together soon! Cheers!

Back