Help planning my keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedF

Reaction score
Hello gents (and ladies too)!

If this is in the wrong place, please move it where appropriate.

I am getting geared up to build a keezer, I have been doing lots of reading and learning and I think I have a plan in place. I want to run it past you folks before I start building so I don't miss anything. I have a few questions that will be thrown in along the way.

This is going to be long-winded, so bare with me and I apologize in advance.

I have purchased a used Danby 555BL chest freezer for the project. It's in good shape and was a good price. It's so close to fitting 3 ball lock corny kegs on the floor that it's painful, but it doesn't. It will fit two on the floor, and two on the hump, with a shelf to support the one hanging almost fully over the edge. Based on my measurements, a 5lb CO2 tank would fit in as well, but there likely will not be room for the regulators to attach. Externally mounted CO2 tank I'm okay with, but would prefer internal.

Can all the regulators all be mounted to the collar, with high pressure line feeding from the tank to the regulator? Any other advice?

I need to go with a 10" collar to fit kegs on the hump and have adequate clearance for disconnects. The interior space is quite snug for 4 kegs, so I wish to hinge the collar and have the shanks and taps swing up out of the way. I'm thinking 1x10 lumber (as opposed to 2x10 to save weight and stress on the hinges), and 1" polystyrene insulation. I know a fan will be required to keep the top end cool. I'm thinking of leaving the original weatherstripping in place (it seems to be tucked under the interior trim) and using weatherstripping with adhesive on both sides (like for a truck topper) to attach the lid to the collar, with some brackets and screws as backup. Weatherstripping again on the bottom of the collar. I'm not an expert wood worker, so I don't want to spend big $ on fancy wood that I might screw up. Red Oak is $10/ft in my area.

What's cheap-ish and finishes well (stain to complement a black freezer).

Are there any moisture issues with the polystyrene insulation? I anticipate using a rechargeable dehumidifier.

I would prefer a small 120V fan for simplicity, wired to cycle on with compressor. Any suggestions?

I want to try and use the existing thermostat, if that is a bust than I will use an external temp controller.

Am I missing anything? I appreciate any input offered.

RedF, never built a collared keezer, just ones with coffins but I will give you my opinion on the subject since Ive done my fair share of reading.

They sell remote CO2 lines that connect the tank to the regs, mine is about 6 feet in length. I scored mine off of CL as a package. Deals are out there you just have to look for a bit. Initially I had my tank inside but since my keezer is in a corner there is plenty of room behind it for the 20#er. Storing it outside will last a little longer than keeping it cold. I have also seen tanks mounted to the rear of keezers using a fire extinguisher mount.

Regs/splitters/faucets mounted to a hinged collar is the smart way to go limiting possible damage to those items.

The use of converted pin locks on the hump wont require as much height if they will fit.

1x10 lumber should be strong enough even if you butt join it.

Since its a keezer you could use pine or plywood, stain and seal it or paint it the color you want.

I have read that the Eva dry units when coupled with a fan work well. Used computer fans with a cell phone charger work well.

There is a thread about adjusting the existing thermostat for keezer use but it reads like it takes a bit of time and tinkering. I just used the aquarium temp controller from e-bay, there is a thread for that too.

Good luck and post pics.

I submit for your approval:

Complete with the obligatory maiden beverage shot!

It's mostly done. I will be adding a toggle switch to turn off the fan, then I will tidy up the wiring and close up the access panels. I'll get the misses to sew up a fabric cover for the unsightly CO2 bottle. The rest of the CO2 lines have to be slipped into place and the liquid lines/shanks/taps cleaned and sterilized. I'll need a "shelf" to extend the compressor hump to comfortably accommodate two cornys. And most importantly, 3 more kegs filled and put into noble service! ( I have a hard cider and an Oktoberfest in production at the moment.)

I'm not a woodworker, so this was a bit of a steep learning curve, but my day job has me working with my hands, so it wasn't that bad. It was a fun project.

It's built from 3/4" oak plywood, corners are 1/4 round oak. Stain is an American Walnut if memory serves me, and three coats of Varathan. The insulation is a product I found at the local Home Depot, it's 3/4" foam board with one side finished with reflective foil. I cut it to fit and taped all the exposed edges with foil tape. It matches the rest of the interior quite nicely. I did manage to source a 110V computer fan, so it is piggybacked off the compressor. A rechargeable dehumidifier is in there, just not visible in the photos.

A drip tray will need to be added, but I'm working on an affordable solution.

I hadn't planned on going with a 20lb CO2 bottle, but it works. It's an exchange program the local bottling house runs, so a $50 deposit on the cylinder, and $30 for the CO2. Never have to worry about the cylinder expiring, and I won't need to worry about running out any time soon!

The beer parts were sourced from Ontariobeerkegs.com, and they were fantastic, other than omitting some minor fittings. Great to deal with and cheaper than having parts shipped from the USA. The Perlick 525 faucets are gorgeous!

So, after all that, I wish to thank you Homebrewtalk.com and the members. This would not have been possible without your inspiration.

Cheers! :mug: :ban:

Here is an update. I have 4 kegs in it, which is a tight fit, a cheap and simple magnetic drip tray (cost about $2!), I installed a switch on the fan, and a magnetic whiteboard.

Now that I look at the pics, I notice the drip tray and the white board aren't on stuck on straight. They're both stuck on with magnets, it just looks bad for my "glamor shots". Oh well!

Latest posts

Back