help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themashedone

Reaction score
I want to brew a heffweizen with banana and clove. now the questions, how much to add of both, I want to put the bananas in the secondary but how do i pasteurize them, and when should i add the clove. any advice would be appreciated.

I think you get a lot of those banana and clove notes from the hefe yeast. If you ferment on the higher temp side you get more clove and on the lower end you get more banana notes. Or maybe it's the other way around I forget. But as far as putting bananas in your fermentor I think that could be a mess. The yeast gives these flavors nicely.

You want to add 1-2 of these after your boil, once the wort has cooled to about 59-75 degrees. It should begin to work in a few hours and should be done flavoring your beer after 2-3 weeks.

Please try to brew a batch without banana and clove. Using the correct yeast and recipe, you will have those flavours and aromas without actual clove / banana additions.

The yeast magic is where the flavour and aroma come from!

+1,it's all in the yeast! But to me,the banana flavor reminds me more of those banana shaped/flavored marshmallow candies we loved as kids. I think it was Brach's that sold them in a bag. Get some if you want a better idea of the flavor you'll get.:mug:

This yeast produced a lot of banana/clove flavors in a Dunkelweizen that I brewed a few months ago. I personally wouldn't want to add even more clove or bananas when using this yeast because it may be too much...

Weihenstephan Weizen

thanks everyone for the help except for that one ******* that seems to know all some people forget that this is a BEGINNER FORUM!!

hey try the AHS 20th anniv hefe. I've got a batch thats about 6 weeks old and it's fantastic. Bananas, smokiness, might add a wee bit of cloves if you really enjoy the clove flavors but otherwise it's all there!

Back