Banana beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satoshi

Bitcoin OG
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I started a banana ferment 11 days ago, there's no audible activity, even if I swirl the bucket to get physical movement, it doesn't provoke any fizz or bubbling. I don't even know if fizzing or bubbling should occur in any case šŸ˜†

I haven't got a hydrometer, the mix was kind of thrown together, as I simply wanted to experiment and see what would happen.

Any thoughts on whether I should strain and it or not?? Not sure if I will distill, maybe I will try to distill some of it, all of it if it doesn't taste good šŸ˜†

As for colour, it seems to have turned a nicer colour, as far as I can see through the plastic fermentation container, so that's hopefully a good sign.

Anyway, thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated šŸ‘

Beer or something else? Since you are in the beer part of the forum our first thoughts are going to be you are making a banana flavored beer.

I did that once with a single hopped light ale and Jarrylo hops. I couldn't believe how much banana flavor they gave to the beer. And no bananas were used at all.

If what you are doing is just bananas, water and maybe some sugar and letting it ferment, then I'd be interested to know if much of the banana flavor remains after it's finished fermenting. Some fruits the flavors largely disappear after fermenting or are more muted than what you can get with the correct type of hops.

I prefer the name banana beer than banana wine, so I thought I'd put the thread in here. Although, I am aware that banana is essentially a berry.

Since the post I have had a taste. I used the airlock hole to put a pipette through and extracted a sample. It has no sugary taste, I there is some banana flavour, though not much. One thing is for sure, it tasted potent!

It definitely will need to be strained, of course, but I've put it back in the airing cupboard for tonight. Mostly due to having started an apple sauce fermentation experiment, not sure how this will work out, I'll need to check that in the morning. I'll start a thread for that in the right section if it starts fermenting.

I added yeast a bit too early, it was hot, but added a more after it had cooled down. We'll see.

The banana beer is really strong, it will definitely need ageing to round off the flavour, unless there are other ways??

I'll be adding some of the story to the distillery section on that one, I think, I'm not sure. I'm quite happy with the initial product so far, maybe it will simply be a strain, bottle and repeat šŸ˜†

Latest posts

Back