help my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishoe

Reaction score
my beer has been down for 3 weeks today, sg reading is only 1016 and has been for 2 days, so i added the findings, will it come down anymore or is it stuffed, what should i do, oh and it is cloudy as still :eek:

my beer has been down for 3 weeks today, sg reading is only 1016 and has been for 2 days, so i added the findings, will it come down anymore or is it stuffed, what should i do, oh and it is cloudy as still :eek:

This question doesn't make any seance - SG?? your OG must have been higher than 1016 and if your FG is 1016 then that's fine

are we talking about an extract batch of AG

I'm not sure why that does not make sense. The SG is the Specific Gravity of the beer. That's the gravity at any given time. If your SG has remained at 1.016 for 2-3 days without any movement, that would also be considered the FG (final gravity) of the beer. If you've been fermenting for 3 weeks now, you will be totally fine to add your finings. You are using a secondary for that, correct? If not, I would recommend doing so.

Simply rack from the primary to the secondary then add the fininings. Wait another 5-7 days and then rack to your bottling bucket or your keg. Should be good to go. The finings and time in the secondary should clear up your beer quite nicely. Remember, beer's always going to look cloudier/darker when in bulk storage compared to when it is in a glass as well. Best of luck buddy!

Umm...

OK, so it has been three weeks since it started fermenting, and now it is at 1.016? And you added what now?

As far as it coming down, it is hard to say, but it all depends on your ingredients and your process (including AG, what temps you mashed at). It may not ferment anymore. If in doubt, wait a few days and test again to re-verify.

The beer might appear cloudy while in a larger container, even though it is actually somewhat clear. Pour your hydrometer sample (when you take the next one) into a glass to see how opaque it is or isn't. If it needs more clearing, wait a week or two and see if it clears out more. You can also try cooling the beer in a refrigerator or ice bath for a few days to see if it settles more.

BTW, did you use whirlfloc or irish moss in your boil?

Back