Help - Mead haze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nfunk

Reaction score
I made a 1 gallon batch of apple cinnamon mead, same recipe as I have used numerous times. Nothing is front sweeten, only back sweeten from thawed frozen apple juice. Everything was going well, I racked to new carboy a month ago. Seven days ago I added a 1 campden tablet and ½ tsp Potassium Sorbate.

Five days ago prior to clarifying I noticed the mead was a little more dry (SG 1.072, OG 0.995) then what I liked, so I back sweeten with a few ounces of honey along with apple juice. I then proceeded to add 1-1/2 tsp of bentonite slurry to clarify. I did forget to let the bentonite re-hydrate before adding to the mead, not sure if it makes much of a difference though.

Past couple of days I noticed the top 1-1/2" to be clarified, but also I noticed that there is a visible well defined hazy layer below the clarified layer all the way to the bottom. There is sediment on the bottom of the carboy so the bentonite (and gravity) is working to some extent.

Not sure if I should add another 1 1/2 tsp of bentonite re-stir the mead (and disturbing the sediment), or try cold clarifying. I was thinking maybe adding a little pectin enzyme and re-stir, but I never had to use this unless I had fruit in the mix up front.

What would be the best procedure to clarify this mead?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Let it ride. The honey is what gave you the haze. Bentonite will take time to work, and I wouldn't add any more (some people say it tastes like mud when rehydrated in secondary). See what it looks like after a few weeks.

Back