Help me Pick Beers from CO

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxsn0blindxx

Reaction score
My brother is moving to Denver the end of this week and my mom is driving him out there so I need to come up wiht a shopping list. What CO beers does everyone recommend? Obviously I'm looking for ones that aren't distributed nationally. I'm not a big fan of Imperials or IPAs. I typically like any kind of stout, porter or brown ale.

Bristol only distributes in Colorado.

I love their Compass IPA, but since you don't care for that style I'd recommend their Laughing Labs Scottish Ale.

My brother is moving to Denver the end of this week and my mom is driving him out there so I need to come up wiht a shopping list. What CO beers does everyone recommend? Obviously I'm looking for ones that aren't distributed nationally. I'm not a big fan of Imperials or IPAs. I typically like any kind of stout, porter or brown ale.

If you want something truly local only, have her pick you up a growler of Bull & Bush Pub & Brewery's Big Ben Brown Ale. *It was quite tasty when i had it this past visit to Denver and has won it's share of awards.

From their menu:
Big Ben Brown Ale:
Deep dark mahogany color. Rich, seductive flavors of molasses, chewy toffee, and dark pit fruit, all leading to a roasted malty finish.

Silver Medal Peak Radio Brew Fest 1997; Bronze Medal Colorado State Fair 1997; Silver Medal Colorado State Fair 1998; Silver Medal Colorado State Fair 2000; Gold Medal Colorado State Fair 2002; Bronze Medal N.A.B.A. 2007; Bronze Award, World Beer Cup 2008.

Well, this would be good for starters:
http://www.5280.com/blogs/2011/02/02/beer-buzz-5280-six-pack
Even if the actual six pack isn't available anymore, you could assemble a mixed 6er of all but the Odell Red. Which I guess would make it a mixed 5er...

Woodcut, Bourbon Barrel Stout, and Saboteur from Odell Brewing (Fort Collins) would all be worth a look. All come in 750 ml bottles and are a bit pricey but delicious. Odells Cutthroat Porter is one of my favorites, particularly served on nitro.

Old Chub Scottish ale and Ten Fidy imperial stout from Oskar Blues (Lyons and Longmont) both come in cans and are great for colder weather. But OB might distribute in Wisconsin now, I'm not sure.

Fort Collins Brewery makes a great Chocolate Stout, and if there are any bombers of Double Chocolate Stout left in the liquor stores (I think it's seasonal), those are particularly decadent. You might like the Z lager, too, which is a Rauchbier.

Sounds like you prefer the maltier beers, but if you happen to like Saison, Funkwerks brewery in Fort Collins is making a really nice one these days.

This past summer I was out in Ft. Collins and had 1554 by New Belgium...outstanding. I'll be out in Denver in about 2 weeks and I'm going to UPS myself a couple of 6'ers back to CT.

1. Doc's Porter - Crystal Springs Brewery (Boulder)
2. Anything from Funkwerks (Ft. Collins)
3. The Holy Trinity (Hog Heaven, The Reverend, Salvation) - Avery (Boulder)

Crystal Springs/Funkwerks are hard to find, but Liquormart in Boulder should definitely have all the beers listed above

I'm heading to Denver tonight, to catch Incubus at Red Rocks tomorrow. Wife and I plan to hit Great Divide tonight, then going to Boulder tomorrow. Wanted to go to Fort Collins, but time won't allow.

Wow......an embarrassment of riches, there. I've had Avery, Boulder, Fort Collins, O'Dell's, New Belgium, Left Hand and a number of brewpubs that don't bottle, and liked them all. And I'm sure there are others........

If you like sours grab a bottle of NB La Folie. If you happen to go to Colo Springs make sure you go by Trinity brewing. If you like Saisons or sours Trinity is supposed to be great, Funkwerks make some damn good saisons and belgians. Great Divide is one of my favorites along with Avery.

Ohh I figured it was an abreviation but couldn't firgure it out. We started getting New Belgium here about a year ago, but I have not seen this La Folie yet. I agree with other 1554 is very good.

Not only the CO beers mentioned, but some from the West Coast you may not see in WI.

Russian River
Deschuttes
Stone
Lost Abbey
The Bruery

I am just waiting for my next trip to CO to stock up. Will probably need to take a trailer with the list I have so far.

These are great, I am a big fan of sour beers too, who makes NB La Folie? I can't find much info on it.

Don't know if it's in the stores yet. When we visited the brewery in Ft. Collins and took the tour in June, it was the last beer served to us......and it's in giant wooden barrels in a warehouse. It's a Belgian sour ale, which is -different- in my experience, and probably an acquired taste.

DSC07126.jpg

DSC07112.jpg

DSC07207.jpg

DSC07180.jpg

photo%2525282%252529.JPG

DSC05606.jpg

ipa.JPG

and of course

DSC05538.jpg

Back