Help me get my hubby his Christmas gift!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:smack: Well, I had kind of thought there was a way to delete a thread, I guess I will just have to hope that a thread labeled help me get my hubby a Christmas gift won't draw his attention and if it does maybe he'll go "Wow, I have the best most amazing wife ever. She is so thoughtful and considerate. She deserves a really AWESOME Christmas gift this year. Maybe I'll go buy her that Brother se400 sewing machine that only walmart carries. I know she's been eyeing it..." Not that I am hinting at anything, Mike....

:smack: Well, I had kind of thought there was a way to delete a thread, I guess I will just have to hope that a thread labeled help me get my hubby a Christmas gift won't draw his attention and if it does maybe he'll go "Wow, I have the best most amazing wife ever. She is so thoughtful and considerate. She deserves a really AWESOME Christmas gift this year. Maybe I'll go buy her that Brother se400 sewing machine that only walmart carries. I know she's been eyeing it..." Not that I am hinting at anything, Mike....

LMAO!!! If I were your husband and I found this thread, I would make a fake account and tell you exactly what I want :D

LMAO!!! If I were your husband and I found this thread, I would make a fake account and tell you exactly what I want :D

"You should get me...I mean him...a mash tun and you should give it to me...I mean him...wearing nothing but a red bow around your neck, while carrying a medium rare porter house steak in your other hand. That is exactly what I...I mean he...really wants."

"You should get me...I mean him...a mash tun and you should give it to me...I mean him...wearing nothing but a red bow around your neck, while carrying a medium rare porter house steak in your other hand. That is exactly what I...I mean he...really wants."

Sounds like a dream come true to me!! Lol. That's too funny.

I am pretty sure he will figure out this thread sooner or later. If you wanted to delete this thread send a PM to the monitor and they might delete it.

What about a lifetime membership here? And an auto siphon? I love my auto siphon.

Kudos to you for helping him descend into the madness of home brewing.

Oh, btw, you can get a 10 gallon cooler( for a mash tun) at Home Depot for 40 dollars.

I don't reply to :off: OPs ;)
You be nice mister!

Hilarious. You're such a great wife.
I agree about the mash tun and maybe a gift cert to his local home brew supply shop.

Thanks for the nice compliment : ) IDK if I am more clear on what to get at this point or as confused as ever. I don't want to buy a mash tun that is premade because it is crazy expensive as opposed to the diy approach. I can get the cooler at target for ~$45, and the rest of the supplies for it for ~$50 on northern brewer. $95 seems a lot more sensicle to me than $180 and then I can still do other stuff for him as well. I can purchase the warming aspects of the temp control while we are in the frigid degrees here, and if I understand that correctly that means $22 stc 1000 temp controller on Amazon and a brew belt for $20 at our local brew store. Now I'm at $145 with shipping, add in an amazon refractor at $25 and a bottle rinser at $20 I should be right at about $200. Am I leaving anything out that I should be purchasing guys? I don't want to give him a half assed kit that he still has to buy stuff online for and can't use for another week and a half. You know how Christmas goes. You open your presents and you wanna play with them right away! I think I may throw in the Ï eat Danger for Breakfast" all grain kit from Jasper's too provided you gentlemen don't remind me of some pricey item I have forgotten : )

If you want something that is "good to go" I would recommend:

Picnic cooler + parts.
All grain Kit with pre-milled grain.

Everything else will be optional including:

the refractometer, temp control and bottle rinser.

I can help with the all grain kit as well if you tell me what styles of beer he likes to brew.

Cooler + Parts $25 + $30
Corona Grain Mill $30
Cool Brewing Carboy Insulator $50
Stir Plate + 2L Flask $45 + $20

Those would be great for a beginner. Refractometers are a fun toy but unnecessary. Eventually he should get a fridge with the stc temp controller but the cool brewing bag is a good starter piece. The corona mill is pretty cheap and will give him the ability to buy grains ahead of time and the grind the night before a brew. The yeast equipment (stir plate) is fun and a fantastic investment.

Stocking Stuffer Book Suggestions:

How to Brew, John Palmer
Brewing Classic Styles, Jamil Z
Yeast, Chris a White
Designing Great Beers, Ray Daniels

Thanks for the nice compliment : ) IDK if I am more clear on what to get at this point or as confused as ever. I don't want to buy a mash tun that is premade because it is crazy expensive as opposed to the diy approach. I can get the cooler at target for ~$45, and the rest of the supplies for it for ~$50 on northern brewer. $95 seems a lot more sensicle to me than $180 and then I can still do other stuff for him as well. I can purchase the warming aspects of the temp control while we are in the frigid degrees here, and if I understand that correctly that means $22 stc 1000 temp controller on Amazon and a brew belt for $20 at our local brew store. Now I'm at $145 with shipping, add in an amazon refractor at $25 and a bottle rinser at $20 I should be right at about $200. Am I leaving anything out that I should be purchasing guys? I don't want to give him a half assed kit that he still has to buy stuff online for and can't use for another week and a half. You know how Christmas goes. You open your presents and you wanna play with them right away! I think I may throw in the Ï eat Danger for Breakfast" all grain kit from Jasper's too provided you gentlemen don't remind me of some pricey item I have forgotten : )

If you bought him all of that...your husband will be BLOWN AWAY!! I would put money on it. I would be the happiest man in the world. The only thing that will take a little bit of time would be putting together the mash tun and the temp controller. The mash tun won't take long at all though and the temp controller won't take long either. I made my temp controller in an hour or two.

Cooler + Parts $25 + $30
Corona Grain Mill $30
Cool Brewing Carboy Insulator $50
Stir Plate + 2L Flask $45 + $20

Those would be great for a beginner. Refractometer are a fun toy but unnecessary. Eventually he should get a fridge with the stc temp controller but the cool brewing bag is a good starter piece. The corona mill is pretty cheap and will give him the ability to buy grains ahead of time and the grind the night before a brew. The yeast equipment (stir plate) is fun and a fantastic investment.

A refractometer is unnecessary? I got news for ya buddy half of what we use is "unnecessary". Hell why don't we all just go back to extract brewing.

A refractometer is unnecessary? I got news for ya buddy half of what we use is "unnecessary". Hell why don't we all just go back to extract brewing.

It's unnecessary because it is only reliable pre-fermentation. A hydrometer will give you accurate results pre- and post- fermentation, and chances are he already has one.

It would be like buying a infrared temperature gun when you already have a reliable thermometer.

It's unnecessary because it is only reliable pre-fermentation. A hydrometer will give you accurate results pre- and post- fermentation, and chances are he already has one.

It would be like buying a infrared temperature gun when you already have a reliable thermometer.

+1 I also agree that a hydrometer is just fine and a refractometer is not exactly necessary. There was a hydrometer in the pictures the OP posted which I'm sure is workin great for him right now.

He would look a lot cooler shooting a gun at his brew for temperature than using a thermometer...

I'd recommend two things to go together. The first would be a Northern Brewer Gift Card to be practical. Then go look in his brewing books and see what he has. This should be easy. Then if he doesn't have it get a quality brewing book. If he has quite a few, then look at getting him a book from the Brewing Classic Styles series for is favorite style or one that you both like. This will handle the thoughtful side. This way you encourage him to brew and support him in it, and then also contribute to his brewing with a gift card allowing him to get what he needs at the next stage. I can assure you that he has new gizmo that he is dreaming of having and a gift card helps him get it.

If you need help selecting a book then post a list of the ones he has. Either that or, in place of a book, you could get him a subscription to a brewing magazine, like BYU (Brew Your Own).

Where are you getting a $25 cooler and $30 parts? I want in on it!!

Here you go!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003H83G94/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ISY2DC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00363RW4A/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Edit: Actually, I take back that cooler link. Looks like someone had issues with the spigot dimensions but there are lots in that price range on amazon. Here's a better choice...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00002ND6V/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh you're thinking 5 gallon. Everyone else had said 10. Any reason I should go smaler? Also there are other parts need, yes?

Oh you're thinking 5 gallon. Everyone else had said 10. Any reason I should go smaler? Also there are other parts need, yes?

For a 5 gallon batch a 5 gallon cooler is tight. He'll be kinda limited to low gravity beers. The 10 is the way to go for the long run.

What about a lifetime membership here? And an auto siphon? I love my auto siphon.

Oh, btw, you can get a 10 gallon cooler( for a mash tun) at Home Depot for 40 dollars.

And you can get a FREE lifetime but I'm not going there:D

Oh I guess it depends on how much beer he drinks and how many beer drinking friends he has. Or if he likes to brew big beers like double IPAs and imperial stouts. I've been using a 5 gallon cooler for years and it suits me well. Here's a 10 gallon for 40:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00002ND6V/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

And actually if you look at the "frequently bought together" right below the listing, it includes the other parts I listed. :)

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay I'm going to sit on my thoughts for the night, no business is going to ship tomorrow anyway. I of course will continue to welcome any advice. Also, his sn on here, because he is so creative, is MikePote in case any of you run across him in his drunken forum perusing and should like to fish for ideas.

whatever you get for him.. before he opens the package or box, slip and tell him it's a Mr. Beer kit.

it'll make the reality of the real gift that much more appreciated. LOL

i would agree with the lifetime membership and you can even get it for free with the boneyard :ban:

Back