Help me get my hubby his Christmas gift!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brittany0731

Reaction score
:off:
Hi, guys. I am hoping to get my husband something he will really enjoy for Christmas. He just started homebrewing recently. I know there are kits that I can buy, but are there other things that I can purchase equipment wise or something that will help his brewing, make it easier, make it better, idk! I know NOTHING about any of this so I really really need some help. Thanks, y'all!!

Do you know what equipment has now? So we can suggest some ideas. Do you have a lhbs?

Refractometer, make sure he ain't already got one.
Digital thermometer. Ditto
Another Fermentation vessel

Happy xmas

It's cute that I don't know any of this lol. I know he has a gigantic pot that he boils his hops and stuff in, then he puts it in 5 gal buckets to ferment. He just bought some metal coils to do some cooling thing, I think? crap, I don't know! Would I be able to figure it out by searching his posts on here?

lol idk how else to go about this. I would really like to do something thoughtful and surprise him that I tried so freaking hard : )

I'd also say Bench Capper, I have this one and love it!: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/super-agata-bench-capper.html

This way he can keep his hand capper as a backup - sometimes cappers break mid-capping I've read, never happened to me though and I've been using the bench capper for around 2 years now. If you're still unsure I also agree with a gift card. That site that I linked has gift cards, this way he can chose on his own what to get. Lastly, you can also buy a kit of his favorite beer type from there. Do you know if he brews using the powered extraxt or does he brew with actual beer grains (called All Grain)? And do you know his favorite beer type?

Rev.

I know he wants to do that I eat breakfast or danger for breakfast in Kentucky and grateful not to be a dead guy from boomchugalug.com. He does the powders now but was saying the other night he would like to do whole grains because it is more economical but scares the crap out of him. He is currently about to brew mush mouth oatmeal stout. He does like stouts (obviously) not a huge fan of IPA's unless they're super tasty. Hates anything too hoppy

Hey Britt,
Good for you on reaching out and exploring his hobbies. He would appreciate that all by itself! If my SWMBO bought me a couple of these I would Love It! The 7 Gallon is around $60 a piece. morebeer.com carries them. GOOD LUCK

Spiedel Fermenter.jpg

Okay, so that is everything beer related I can find. That coil thing is what he made last night. Sure do hope you all know what it does, because I sure don't!

I think if you give us some limits in terms of money you are looking to spend we can give better options. I have been brewing for 6 months. In that time I have bought anything someone was willing to put a price tag on. A lot of it I would trade inform chest freezer and temp probe. Starting as a fermenting chamber than modifying it to a keezer when I make the jump to kegging.

The copper coil cools the beer down by running cold water through it. By the way, when you get a chance tell him not to be afraid at all of All Grain, I actually think it's far easier than working with the extract powder. I also find the powder is messy and often requires more cleanup. You can tell him he can look at All Grain really no different than steeping grains, you're basically just steeping all the grains for 1 hour. Might help ease his worry about switching over.

If you'd like you can use your christmas present to push him towards all grain by getting the following items from the link below the list:

Bronze Cooler Valve Kit
$24.99

PRECUT 3/8" Clear Hi-temp Tubing - 4 ft
$5.20

Male Brass 1/2" NPT x 3/8" Barb
$3.25

Rubbermaid 10 Gallon Cooler
$86.99

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/all-grain-system-mash-tun-10-gallons.html

And you can also order him this, but he'll need to crimp the end down to fit - don't worry... he can figure it out!: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/mash-boil-screen.html

All those items together will get him a fully working mash tun.

Rev.

The coil is a wort chiller.

I highly recommend fast racks. My wife bought me some for our anniversary and I've been thrilled with them. Cleaning, sanitizing, and draining bottles is a major pain in the butt. They help with that. You can get them from most of the on-line homebrew shops, ebay, and amazon.

Double_Stack_large_large.jpg

I'd like to stay under $150 for sure. The closer to $100 the better, but honestly he deserves whatever it is : )

Is the fast rack the same as him taking over my dishwasher racks to dry his bottles or does it actually help sanitize. Tell me more, because that is usually my job and I HATE it lol. And is the individual pieces posted for the mash tun the same as what was posted above that I can just purchase put together?

Get him a 10 gallon round beverage cooler so that he can start building his mash tun for all-grain. Also a large metal spoon(3 feet long) fir stirring the mash.

That would be a good start to get him moving towards all-grain.

A refractometer is also nice when making all grain batches.

Okay there are so many different ideas and IDK what is what so let's do this!

If I got him an all grain I eat Danger for Breakfast kit, what else would he need in conjuction to what he already owns? Also, what is the difference in I eat Danger for breakfast and Breakfast in Kentucky? Not sure which to get there. List it off, boys! What exactly do I need?

The link you have would do the trick. If you have a local brew shop check their stock. It might save you on shipping.

Is the fast rack the same as him taking over my dishwasher racks to dry his bottles or does it actually help sanitize. Tell me more, because that is usually my job and I HATE it lol. And is the individual pieces posted for the mash tun the same as what was posted above that I can just purchase put together?

The fast racks give him a place to put the bottles as soon as the dishwasher is done sanitizing. They are also great for storing empty bottles until the next batch. They are also great for putting in plastic tubs for soaking bottles in oxyclean to remove old labels. They are also great for holding bottles as they dry between washing and sanitizing. And if he's handy, he can build a bottle washing rig that shoots cleaner and/or sanitizer up into the bottles under pressure while the racks hold them in place.

In other words, there are tons of possible uses.

This hobby is endless as for what to get him! I'm sure he will appreciate whatever you get him. If your ordering online, you don't want to wait to long we all are running out of time!

i shop at Jasper's too, they make kits to order instead of pre-packaged box kits from other places in the north and from texas :p

for all grain he needs 2 cookpots, so get him a stainless 6+ gallon pot, the mash tun i already linked - he needs fresh coffee beans and a way to grind them for the kit. also, 20 ounces of baking chocolate.

I posted before I saw your response. Sorry. So is that mash tun thing all he would need equipment-wise?

Back